Biasing TwinFace PNP

nbw

I’ve built three of these, they all suffer from the same malady. I can seem to adjust the bias on the germanium PNP transistors I’m using. I am using 2sb33s. These transistors work really nice
y in some easyfaces I’ve built.

I’m far from an electronics neophyte, but this has me stumped.

I’ve built three of these, they all suffer from the same malady. I can seem to adjust the bias on the germanium PNP transistors I’m using. I am using 2sb33s. These transistors work really nice
y in some easyfaces I’ve built.

I’m far from an electronics neophyte, but this has me stumped.
Are you getting Minus 4.5V on the Collector, not 4.5v as with the NPN transistors

I can bias the NPN to a reasonable level. I can’t pull the bias on the germaniums below -6.5v I think it’s an issue of leakage current.

The downside of Germanium transistors is they have to be checked for hfe & Leakage to see if they will work .
Typically, Fuzz Face Q1 = 70 to 85 and Q2 = 120 to 140, Leakage no higher than 200uA seems to be acceptable.
It's 1.27am, I'm off to Bed...
Hey Chuck, Chime In!

I thinking he easy face there are two variants one is a single pot no fixed divider resistor, or a much smaller value to account for the 2sn33 higher leakage current ~1ma.

PNP1 is too leaky.

If you're going to build pedals with Germanium transistors, you either have to buy pre-screened transistors from Small Bear or PedalHacker OR get a transistor tester. I bought this one on eBay, the board was fully assembled, all I had to do was assemble the clear case. It's a great tool for screening transistors and will also measure capacitors, inductors, diodes and resistors. Runs on 9-12VDC (positive center pin) or a 9V battery.

Yep. I think that’s it. Those 2sb33s are specced from building EasyFaces. Those have an SI for PNP1, specifically a 2n3906. I really
Ike that sound. Maybe I’ll plug in 3906 and make the GE side a hybrid.

Back