Bit Soldier - Bit Commander Clone

Crash102

Just boxed this one up. Worked first time I plugged it in, which Is always a relief. Its slow, but I continue to follow the step by step guide posted on the forums. So far, it’s been money.

I did mess up a few things that always seem to bother me more than the success of getting the circuit to work. The two right pots are slightly higher than the other 4. This was my first time doing a 6 knob pedal, but I thought I was on the money with the drill guide and center hole puncher. I might end up just getting the tayda pre drilled ones when building with 4+ knobs.

I got new wire thinking it would be great, but it’s thicker than I was expecting and I had a side wire snap when I was putting it into the case. So my wiring isnt as clean as I’d want it to be. But it’s one of those Things I know I’ll get better with time.

Cool graphic, good looking build.

Maybe put the white knobs on the right so as to camouflage the discrepancy in drilling accuracy?

Drilling even a half-millimetre out will mess up the look of a pedal — don't ask me how I know. Even with a spring-loaded centre-punch and taking my time and double-triple checking ... a hand-held drill can "walk" and I manage to muck up even with a drill press. Yet, I still don't mind drilling. It's therapeutic.

The Tayda predrilled enclosures are pretty nice to work with in regards to the pots lining up. The ones i've gotten were all drilled off center a bit to the left or right, and the led hole needs to be redrilled to fit a 5mm LED, but the other hole tolerances are great. When I drill my own I always go one step bigger than needed on the bit, which gives me wiggle room to line the pots up after they are soldered to the board.

Reactions: fig
The Tayda predrilled enclosures are pretty nice to work with in regards to the pots lining up. The ones i've gotten were all drilled off center a bit to the left or right, and the led hole needs to be redrilled to fit a 5mm LED, but the other hole tolerances are great. When I drill my own I always go one step bigger than needed on the bit, which gives me wiggle room to line the pots up after they are soldered to the board.

That's not a bad idea. Getting the pots to fit right with the holes slightly higher was a chore all in and itself.

But i like to have my LED's to the side of the footswitch which is why i haven't used their drilling service yet

How does it sound?
Funny thing about that. It's sound is crazy. But it's a pedal that is designed to sound synth-ish but also glitchy. I went back to YouTube to listen to YouTube to make sure it was sounding as its supposed to. Pretty much only shines on single note riffs at or around the 12th fret and up. Probably not the most versatile pedal i could have built but its fun. It simply will not do chords

Back
Top Bottom