BJF Pink Purple Distortion Deluxe

Chuck D. Bones

Circuit Wizard
The Pink Purple Distortion has one Tone knob that attenuates Both bass & treble when turned CCW. The Deluxe version splits the Tone into separate Bass & Treble controls. I built a version on Vero that also has a 10K pot in series with the diodes. If interested, I can provide a schematic.

I'd be keen to see that. I've built a Honey Bee, Model G and a few others with separated bass and treble controls. Generally the "Nature" control works fine but it's good to have the extra control sometimes.

Here ya go. Turning the Diodes control down decreases compression, raises volume and increases even-order harmonic content.

Attachments

• BJFE Pink Purple Deluxe Fuzz v1.1a.pdf
    20.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Pink Purple Deluxe 01.jpg
    Pink Purple Deluxe 01.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Pink Purple Deluxe - guts 01.jpg
    Pink Purple Deluxe - guts 01.jpg
    183 KB · Views: 29
I'm going to BUMP this one to see if we can get any traction. It's really a versatile and great sounding distortion unit. Ranks up there with the Screw Driver IMHO.

Here's one. As you can hear, it plays well with humbuckers and single coil pickups. What you don't hear in the demo is the effect of the DIODES knob. Backing that one off at lower FUZZ settings cleans things up a bit and reduces compression, yielding more of a mild tube overdrive sound rich in low-order harmonics.

The middle knob is the NATURE control (middle knob) in the standard PPF. It's basically the BASS & TREBLE controls ganged together. CCW increases both the Bass & Treble, CW cuts them both back. I added the DIODES (Compression) knob. The standard PPF acts like the DIODES knob is full CW. The schematic of the one demoed is attached. I extracted this schematic from a vero layout on the tagboardeffects website. I changed the three 14.7K resistors to 13.7K because that's what I had. I'm sure that 15K would work just fine there too. I subbed the transistors I had. I upped the Treble capacitor from 22nF to 33nF based on listening tests and personal preference. I used 3.3M in place of 1M for R2 & R19. With R20 there, a protection diode is really not necessary, but one could be added. I'd recommend designing the board for the 5-knob version, but using the component values from the stock unit. Builders are always free to make tweaks as req'd.

Attachments

• BJFE Pink Purple Fuzz.pdf
    20.2 KB · Views: 26
FuchsiaFuzz2.jpg
Alternate layout. Moved the Diode pot up to the top (and renamed "Clipping"), and added the Nature control.

The idea is that you would use either the Bass / Treble or the Nature control... Not both.

With this layout you could do a:
  • 3-knobber with Volume / Fuzz / Nature
  • 4-knobber with Volume / Fuzz / Bass / Treble
  • 4-knobber with Volume / Fuzz / Nature / Clip
  • 5-knobber with Volume / Fuzz / Bass / Treble / Clip
Since this was Chucks request I tried to incorporate multiple builds into the same board. ?

Back