Blue Breaker, first 2024 build

cdwillis

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I've had this blues breaker pcb sitting around for a while and forgot about it. Found it in my stash last night and decided to finish building it out. I made a couple minor mods to the circuit when I built it. When I was done I realized I was missing the nut for the outie DC jack. I have some more on order. The innie jack uses a similar size nut, but it's just a little too small to thread onto the jack.

bb1.jpg bb2.jpg

I went off the schematic using the 33k and 27k resistors on the first gain stage. The one I built before I used the 4.7k and 3.3k resistors. I'm not sure how much of a difference it made in the tone, but it seems warmer over all. The tone knob really needs to be at least around noon or higher to really deliver a decent amount of presence. I'm using humbuckers here so maybe it would be a little brighter with single coils.

The output volume was just miserable on the first one I built. On that one I used the stock a100k volume pot. On this one I used a linear pot instead. The overall volume isn't really louder, but most of the volume was bunched up at the end of the sweep with the logarithmic pot. If anyone builds one of these I would definitely use a b100k pot for the volume. If I put all the pots at noon it's just under unity gain where on the old one I'd have to have the volume pot up to 3 o'clock or so if I remember right with the gain at noon just to achieve unity volume.

I also put a 100k resistor in parallel with lugs 2 and 3 of the drive pot like the King of Tone. This seems to give it a smidge higher gain at minimum drive setting. With the 100k resistor in parallel with the 100k on the pot at that setting you're getting 50k. If I understand it right, gain should be 220k divided by (50k+10k) so 3.6~ vs the stock 2 gain. The idea here was I was trying to get more output volume with the drive knob turned down. I tried the pedal without the 100k resistor soldered in then with it. It wasn't a drastic change. I do think the overall drive sweep might be a little better. It's hard to tell without putting it on a switch to compare on and off.

Oh and I used a 100pf cap in the first gain stage rather than 47pf. There shouldn't be that much of a difference. At max the low pass filter hits about 16khz, way above a guitar speakers output capability and most people's ability to hear.

I have an NE5532 in there because I had one handy. I'm going to find a TL072 and LM833 to audition to see if they change the sound much. I have one built on a breadboard to try some more mods on. I might try swapping the 25k tone pot and 10nf tone cap to a 10k pot and 22nf cap to see if the lower resistance increases the output volume some more. I replaced the stock tone control with a Stupidly Wonderful Tone Control then eliminated the 6.8k/10nf low pass filter afterward and got a noticeably higher output volume. I think there are some ways to improve upon the circuit without adding more op amps or gain stages.

I forgot to add that I'm probably going to take the 100k resistor off the drive lugs. If you max out the drive knob theres zero resistance in parallel with the 100k resistor so all of a sudden the gain in the second stage drops.

There really needs to be an extra 10 ohm or other small value resistor added between lug three and the capacitor then you can add the 100k from lug 3 to the junction of the cap and extra resistor so that even turned up all the way there's a small amount of resistance left.
20240122_115218.jpg

I am building one now. I will use the b 100 vol pot and instead of 220k below the diodes i am using a 470k. That was suggested by someone here. It sounded great when i breadboarded it

Pb

I've had this blues breaker pcb sitting around for a while and forgot about it. Found it in my stash last night and decided to finish building it out. I made a couple minor mods to the circuit when I built it. When I was done I realized I was missing the nut for the outie DC jack. I have some more on order. The innie jack uses a similar size nut, but it's just a little too small to thread onto the jack.

View attachment 66537 View attachment 66538

I think there are some ways to improve upon the circuit without adding more op amps or gain stages.
This could be a prime candidate for Robert's Footswitch Booster:

I missed it when it was first posted, but... What a great build report!

Thank you for sharing your mods, CD, I've added them to my notes. Much obliged.

Further to modding, for anyone that lands on this thread looking for yet more ways to tweak the circuit,
here's some cross pollination for the solder-station:
https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=84582.0 [re bass-retention]

I can't remember where it was, but in another thread Chuck pointed out that the 100 ohm resistor was superfluous to the design, so the 100k resistor on the lugs is still a cool mod. There was something else going on with that pot that was making the resistance funky once the wiper was all the way up.

The one mod I will shout from the rooftops is using a linear 100k for the volume on a standard bluesbreaker pedal. The one I built the first time with the logarithmic pot was very disappointing when it came to adjusting the volume. You had to have the volume pot cranked at all times pretty much.

Back