Buffer help?

Do you normally use a boost in your pedal chain? I agree with @Brett on the Cleaver (Katana) as an always on @unity boost. Very transparent in the clean setting. I gave mine to my brother, but have the board to build another one. One of my favorite boosts. (Do I say that about all the boosts I build? I think I do.........hahah)
I have made a couple boosts. Current..ly my board is boostless outside of the parenthesis boost. I sorta wish this little guy I made recently had a buffer inside with its boost it it may have solved the issue.
A9E1BE84-B9DE-49BA-BA85-410BB24AD3BE.jpeg

Not strictly a unity-gain buffer, but the tillman preamp is great... swap in pretty much any JFET and adjust R3 to bias at around 5-6v.

preamp.gif

It's remarkably similar to the echoplex preamp and works nicely as an always-on option with about 3dB of boost.

Not strictly a unity-gain buffer, but the tillman preamp is great... swap in pretty much any JFET and adjust R3 to bias at around 5-6v.

preamp.gif

It's remarkably similar to the echoplex preamp and works nicely as an always-on option with about 3dB of boost.
I’ll breadboard this tonight and check it out.

Reactions: mdc
That schematic is a little awkward... just in case it's not clear C2 goes from 9V to ground, it's not tied to the output.

I have made a couple boosts. Current..ly my board is boostless outside of the parenthesis boost. I sorta wish this little guy I made recently had a buffer inside with its boost it it may have solved the issue.
View attachment 33576
You can add a simple JFet buffer in this and make it a buffer. I've got a bunch of the JFet buffer boards. DM if you want one, I can pop it in the mail to you.

If you have a little strip of vero handy you can make a simple unity gain buffer from a mosfet or a op amp really easily. A while back I was making a buffer from a TL072, but I ended up just making it a boost kind of like a Mr Black Boost Tiger.

Here's a quick vero board layout I threw together if anyone wants to build something like this without putting together their own layout. D1 is a 1n5817 schottky diode for polarity protection and D2 is a 9v zener diode.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.33.55 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-10-08 at 8.33.55 PM.png
    66.5 KB · Views: 13
I know you also built the comprehensive drive from PedalPCB, it’s buffer bypass as well.

You might also consider building or purchasing a Keeley Katana for an always on (barely above unity) boost for added high frequency clarity.

I’ve tried the IC buffer (famously called the Klon buffer although it’s not particularly unique to the Centaur) and it’s fairly neutral and works well. The Cornish style transistor buffer (also works well), however, is slightly more colored than the IC buffer.

The best results I’ve had so far have been with the Mesa High-Wire dual buffer. It doesn’t fit the 1590a bill, but it’s great at what it does.
Whoa. So I plugged my comprehensive drive in for the first time in a very long time. It works perfect to kill the squeals and some how it makes my pro-10 sound a million times better. Man this drives me crazy all the different combinations.

I did a bunch of buffer reading (freestompboxes, muzique, and others) and this was my plan.

They’re small, could probably fit a few of them on a single breadboard and swap stuff around. I just haven’t started it yet.

OR, I could wait for you to do it and decide which one is The Best.
Then you'll know what's The Best for Dan0h, but you still won't know what's The Best for you!

If I were to do the Cleaver/Katana as an always on buffer-boost, I'd build it as always on with a pot-swapper;
One knob on the outside and the stomper merely switches between the outside knob and an internal trimmer set to unity gain. Then again, I'd probably use 9mm pots and stick both the unity-gain control and the boosted signal on the outside, 'cause sometimes you need to adjust what's unity.
So, with the mods and changing up to two pots, it might be a tight squeeze in 1590A, but then a 1590B2 with TOP JACKS would take up just as much/little space as the 1590A.

Order, we must have ORDER!
images

Then I'd have to figure on whether to put the buffer-boost at the beginning of the chain or the end. Probably at the end, and have a buffered pedal somewhere near the beginning to push the signal through to the end, and then the buffer-boost at the very end to oomph the signal, and the boost able to just up the volume as needed without driving other dirt pedals into more saturation.

The PolyTune 3 (with buffer) is currently on sale at $30 off.
I don't advocate buying something when you can build something, but if you're already committed to having a PolyTune at the front of your chain, it might be worth considering.

View attachment 34433
That’s a good deal. I don’t always keep my tuner on the board. Since I have v2 I wouldn’t by v3. But I will say polytunes are great tuners.

The PolyTune 3 (with buffer) is currently on sale at $30 off.
I don't advocate buying something when you can build something, but if you're already committed to having a PolyTune at the front of your chain, it might be worth considering.

View attachment 34433
That's exactly what I have as the first pedal in my chain. The built in "Bona Fide" buffer is actually quite transparent. I can't hear any difference with it on or off. Also why these squeal issue never make onto my radar until someone complains about it hahahah.....

If you aren’t dead set on a dedicated buffer box, here are some more PPCB projects with buffered bypass:
- Informant
- Awful Waffle
- ADHD
- FDIC Boost
I like the Awful Waffle. It can get a bit lo-fi when pushed but it’s got a nice sound. Reminds me of a Honey Bee.
I can confirm the Awful Waffle works to stop the black eye squeal @vigilante398 and sounds amazing as a clean boost. The last few mm of the gain pot to max really sends this thing to another planet almost muff land. The distortion from noon to almost max is very direct and nothing like I have built before. Sounds very old school boss. But the clean section from 11 o’clock and lower is really tasty. Cheers for the recommend. Was able to remove the Klon and General Tso. Not sure if this guy will become permanent but it sure is an easy build and sounds really cool. Hotcakes yum.

Back