CA3080 sub

Bricksnbeatles

Member known well
Anyone have experience with the AS3080E in dynacomp style circuits? CA3080 is hard to find these days, overpriced for what it is, and frequently counterfeited— the Alfa AS3080E is a modern production sub that available for cheap, but I haven’t found any info about people’s use of it with regards to performance and noise. I know sometimes these budget modern reissue chips aren’t truly the same, and can perform sub-optimally in some situations or be noisier than old stock examples.

LM13700. You're wasting half of it, but it'll work.

I love this quote:
Don Sauer, one of the two guys responsible for the LM13600/13700 development, wrote this about the chips:

So the development spec for the LM13600 was that it needed a schematic to train someone
in IC layout. It needed to have 16 pins. And we were going to layout the 3080 anyway.
The schematic part was easy. Just used the 3080 exactly.

A SOIC 16 package is around 10mm long and 6.03 mm wide. A DIP 8 package is 9.4mm long and 6.4mm wide, so I suppose it may be possible to make an adapter for the SMD version of the 13700 to fit the 3080 footprint, but the SMD chip’s pad’s would have to be modified for 0 extension past the pins, which would probably make soldering it extremely difficult and less than stable.

A SOIC 16 package is around 10mm long and 6.03 mm wide. A DIP 8 package is 9.4mm long and 6.4mm wide, so I suppose it may be possible to make an adapter for the SMD version of the 13700 to fit the 3080 footprint, but the SMD chip’s pad’s would have to be modified for 0 extension past the pins, which would probably make soldering it extremely difficult and less than stable.
1705017574012.png
what about a DIP-DIP adaptor... just as problematic? (unsightly yes, but if works, it works)

with all the talk about compressors lately, i'm becoming inclined, but of course - can't just go and buy a CA3080.

Talon electronics has the CA3080E in stock
Also EN2222, smbt2222 for cheap
Edit-57 left at a low 3.90 each
2024-01-1122.29.314100667881423680575.jpg

Last edited:
Did Lm13700s go extinct recently?
Only the PDIP from Mouser and DigiKey.

That's kinda of my canary in a coal mine for long-term replacement. Nothing scientific about it, and hopefully I'm not causing a panic. Maybe others like Farnell or elsewhere still have them. I just saw the big boys don't carry the thru-hole package, and wanted to have something on deck.

I got to thinking about this, and Mouser and DigiKey it seems no longer carry the through-hole/PDIP package of the LM13700 or the NE5517. So I made a board for the SMD version. ---- UNVERIFIED ---- Schematic & board and gerbers included in zip.

View attachment 67070

Could be shrunk with SMD resistors instead of TH

Thanks to effects layouts proto board version for the inspiration
I can't think of about 17 different ways I'd bork that before I had it inserted in a board.
But very cool none the less!

Back