Can you run the Duocast at 12-18V?

laxu

Can the Duocast be run at 12-18V or does the charge pump design with the 9-27V switch prevent this? I would like to get something in between these settings and was hoping using 12 or 18 volts from my CIOKS DC7 with the Duocast switch set to 9V would do the trick.

I’m not sure that would work. Either the regulator and charge pump will bring it down to 9V or worse, the regulator won’t handle the higher voltage and just break down. You should take a look at the data sheet for it.

If you have the charge pump in the circuit, it can only accept 9V. The charge pump does not regulate the input voltage. If you supply more than 9V, you risk breakdown of components. An 18V input would raise the charge pump output to about 54V.

Edit: the LT1054 can accept up to 15V. However, unless you’re comfortable with ensuring all of your parts are rated accordingly and you understand the function of the charge pump block, I strongly advise against providing anything other than standard 9V input. You could get the 18V option by tapping the second to last pump stage.

Ok I took a look at the data sheet for for the LT1054 and it looks like it can theoretically take up to 15V. That means that with the switch at 9V the pedal will work at 15V, ans with the switch at 27V it will work at about 45V. That may be too high for some of the components. Also I’m not sure if the configuration on the pedal will work at higher voltage.

Another option is to mod the power circuit to enable 18V. The charge pump uses a network of caps and diodes to double and then triple the power voltage, so it should be possible to take power from the doubling output. I’ve never tried it or worked out the circuit so I’m afraid I can’t be of further help on this one!

Back