Capacitors and Frequencies - Any good resources out there?

BuddytheReow

Breadboard Baker
Many of us tinkerers (might) know that coupling caps block DC, but allow AC (signal) to pass through. It's also known to tinkerers that larger value caps allow more lower frequencies through. Is there some sort of chart/graph/equation/smoke signal that shows what cutoff frequencies correspond to the cap values? Or does it really depend on what goes before and after said cap? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

To effectively work with specific cutoff frequencies, caps are always associated with an accompanying resistance value. So it does depend on what comes before and/or after a cap to make such a determination.
Let’s say you’re building a simple 1 transistor fuzz circuit. You need a coupling cap at the input. We can bias the bjt with a resistor from power to collector and collector to base. Nothing in that circuit path is going to ground, so how would I determine the frequency? Instead of ground do I look at the resistor from base to collector?

Or am I overthinking this?

Let’s say you’re building a simple 1 transistor fuzz circuit. You need a coupling cap at the input. We can bias the bjt with a resistor from power to collector and collector to base. Nothing in that circuit path is going to ground, so how would I determine the frequency? Instead of ground do I look at the resistor from base to collector?

Or am I overthinking this?
Yeah, I think it's being over-thought. In the case of a simple input coupling cap for a fuzz circuit, I'd socket it and experiment with various values to hear exactly what you're getting.

Back