Carmine Ge transistor suggestions

Bret608

Well-known member
I've seen threads on this and saw some good suggestions, but am curious in particular to know if anyone has successfully tried a low-gain Ge NPN in the Carmine. I see the Ge gain stage looks a lot like a Rangemaster, but it's getting pushed by the Jfet stage, rather than it being the one to push a subsequent stage, if that makes sense. I've got a 2n1306 with 74 hfe and about 0.070mA leakage, which looks like a good candidate. But I've also got a 2SD77 with only 34 hfe and about that same leakage. Kind of torn on this choice if I'm honest!
 
I've seen threads on this and saw some good suggestions, but am curious in particular to know if anyone has successfully tried a low-gain Ge NPN in the Carmine. I see the Ge gain stage looks a lot like a Rangemaster, but it's getting pushed by the Jfet stage, rather than it being the one to push a subsequent stage, if that makes sense. I've got a 2n1306 with 74 hfe and about 0.070mA leakage, which looks like a good candidate. But I've also got a 2SD77 with only 34 hfe and about that same leakage. Kind of torn on this choice if I'm honest!
I have not tried those specific ones, but just put a socket in and try each one and listen to see if they work and which one is better. It won't hurt the circuit.
 
I hear you, I did end up using sockets for the Ge and FET even though my temptation was to gangster out a bit and just solder them straight in. Should have it ready to test later this week!
 
Okay, really glad I used sockets here! The lower hfe 2SD77 sounded good but it just isn't strong enough to push those diodes into clipping. The 2n1306 is much more like it. My apologies to the hybrid Fuzz Face I grabbed it from! Will grab a replacement for that, lol.
 
Back
Top