Charge pump question

dlazzarini

Hey guys I’ve got a question about pedals with charge pumps. I know there’s certain pedals out there that will run at both 9v and 18v. My very basic understanding of a charge pump is that it basically bumps up your voltage from say 9v to 18v. Is the purpose of this to eliminate having to have an 18v power supply. If a pedal with a charge pump is fed 18v does that mean it’s putting out 36v and frying everything. An example that comes to mind is the integral preamp. The TC integrated preamp I’m told can handle up to around 30volts. Is this because of the charge pump.

A charge pump can increase the voltage or create a negative voltage.

Generally a pedal with a charge pump is designed to be powered from 9V maximum, although some can handle 12V. If you apply 18V you will very likely damage the charge pump.

A stock TC Integrated Preamp does not have an internal charge pump, it is just designed to be powered on 4 - 18V DC. 30V is beyond the listed spec, but pedals like the Fortin Grind / 33 run the circuit in that neighborhood.

A charge pump can increase the voltage or create a negative voltage.

Generally a pedal with a charge pump is designed to be powered from 9V maximum, although some can handle 12V. If you apply 18V you will very likely damage the charge pump.

A stock TC Integrated Preamp does not have an internal charge pump, it is just designed to be powered on 4 - 18V DC. 30V is beyond the listed spec, but pedals like the Fortin Grind / 33 run the circuit in that neighborhood.

Back