SOLVED CheeseMonger Fuzz - Gated fuzz on Modes 1-3

Hello! Just finished my CheeseMonger Fuzz build, and I am experiencing this issue. I get a very gated sputtery fuzz sound on modes 1-3. In fact, they all sound very similar. I only get a fuzz sound when the fuzz knob is dimed; otherwise it’s a fairly clean sound. Mode 4 has a full, loud fuzz which sounds awesome.

NOTE: One mistake that I have discovered that I need to fix is the pots. For some reason I confused this build with another, and I installed three A100K pots, so I will replace those with the correct A10k, B1k, an B100k pots.

This is my first time using a 2P4T switch. Is there a “correct” orientation? It looks as though it can only be one of two ways.

Could my incorrect pots be the issue?

I’ve checked my solder joints, and they seem fine to me, but I’ll double check.

Any thoughts on where I should start to look? I’ll try an audio probe once I get some free time today.

Attachments

• IMG_6312.jpeg
    IMG_6312.jpeg
    492.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6313.jpeg
    IMG_6313.jpeg
    447.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_6314.jpeg
    IMG_6314.jpeg
    579.3 KB · Views: 7
Solution
I’m sure putting the right pots in will make the difference. As for the selector, you have it in there right. There’s the biasing of the 4th position also, which will probably be best done once you swap out the pots. I have this on my bench right now.
I’m sure putting the right pots in will make the difference. As for the selector, you have it in there right. There’s the biasing of the 4th position also, which will probably be best done once you swap out the pots. I have this on my bench right now.

Solution
UPDATE: Apparently using the correct potentiometers for your build makes a difference! :D

I've replaced the incorrect pots with the correct ones, and it is working like a treat. Massive boneheaded error in the first place, which probably shows that I shouldn't try to build pedals when tired. But, I did get to practice my desoldering skills, so there's the silver lining!

Back