Clarification on caps

Mike McLane

The BOM for General Tso's Compressor makes specific reference to C2 as "1u (FILM)". I generally use poly film caps for all non-electrolytics (except for the tiny value ceramics) so why the need to call this one out specifically as "film"?

That’s what the board spacing is set up for, those big chonky 1uf film caps. The “why film?” is more of a question for the designer of the original circuit I would imagine.

In your case there is no need because your default is the correct type. Some builders might be tempted to use electrolytics.

PedalPCB makes a reasonable effort to replicate the original circuit and parts list. You won't see any crazy shit like carbon comp resistors on the BOM, but you will see crazy shit like 220R, 820R and 1.8K resistors in series and transistors that don't do anything (Triangulum).

The BOM for General Tso's Compressor makes specific reference to C2 as "1u (FILM)". I generally use poly film caps for all non-electrolytics (except for the tiny value ceramics) so why the need to call this one out specifically as "film"?
Because they also use mlcc...

Back