Cleaver Boost build - (and a Friday morning dose of humility...)

MichaelW

The Cleaver has been on my list of boost pedals to build, largely because I've been wanting a Keeley Katana for years but could never bring myself to drop the $200 for one.

It was a fairly quick and easy build, like the FDIC that I put together earlier this week. But when I buttoned everything up this morning before work I got power but no sound. :) Last thing I was expecting, since I've had a good run of pedals that have all worked first time I fired them up.

My troubleshooting skills are most definitely not an area I've had a lot of opportunity to exercise so I was doing a lot of searching on this forum as well as a few others to even know where to start to look. So much great information to be had!

I was sitting in Zoom meetings today with the camera off, on mute, with a DMM and the pedal in front of me all morning trying to figure out what I did wrong, hahah.

I pulled the 3PDT out and hooked it up to different one with test leads all checked out but still no sound.

I was really stumped, wrote up a post for the Troubleshooting forum with pictures all ready to go to shout for HELP here, heh.
Right before I hit the "Post" button, I was thinking "you know, it's probably something REALLY dumb that you've overlooked...It's probably NOT a bad component, part, IC, transistor..."

So going back to the beginning, I took a look at the very first thing in the signal path, and sure enough.....dohhhh....I wired the input jack incorrectly.
I was using Neutrik Stereo Jacks (the only ones I had on hand that would fit in my 1590B build) and snipped the wrong tab and wired the ground wire to "ring" instead of sleeve....on both jacks....sigh. Unfortunately I had already snipped the tabs so I wasted a pair of jacks in the learning process, but once I wired it all up correctly with new jacks it fired right up.

What a sweet boost pedal! In the "boost" mode it can get into light overdrive territory and adds its own flavor pushing another gain pedal or amp front end.
I have yet to play around with it in my amp effects loop but I think it would work really well as a power amp boost as well.

Very glad I built it and a nice addition to my growing collection of boost pedals!

This is also my first 1590B build with top mounted jacks and I'm very happy my drilling wasn't too wonky and everything fit. (Thanks to the threads here on PedalPCB.com!) I absolutely love the smaller form factor box and looking forward to finding more PCB's that will fit into it. (Pauper, Mayahana and Greengage are now all on my wishlist:)

Definitely a hiccup in my expectations but also VERY satisfying to figure out what I did wrong and fix it!

IMG_2732.JPG

IMG_2721.JPG

IMG_2724.JPG

IMG_2733.JPG

Oh actually I misspoke! I was thinking 1590B. The picture makes it look so much bigger than it is! 1590A would be a feat! Maybe with a straight lead pot the board could go in sideways. But no top jacks.

Or, the pot could go on the side rather than top?
Yah, this was what I was thinking, there's a "taller" 1590A type box. Sorry I'm not super familiar with all the Hammond nomenclature. I'm thinking of the one the Xotic EP Booster comes in. That box would have enough room to mount the pot on the side and maybe squeak the board in on an angle. Hmmmmm........:)

Looks like a fun build! I might have to try this one out myself. How did you figure out the drilling measurements for the 150B enclosure? Is it as simple as just printing out the drill template and taping it up to the enclosure?

Looks like a fun build! I might have to try this one out myself. How did you figure out the drilling measurements for the 150B enclosure? Is it as simple as just printing out the drill template and taping it up to the enclosure?
There are a couple of threads on how to do it. Here and here. There isn't a lot of margin for error and you have to use certain types of jacks (like the Lumberg) to make it all work. But I'll use a 1590B on any pedal I can physically fit the board into. I much prefer them over 125B's. Virtually everything I know about pedal building (which isn't a lot...) I've learned from the awesome folks at PedalPCB.com forum!

There are a couple of threads on how to do it. Here and here. There isn't a lot of margin for error and you have to use certain types of jacks (like the Lumberg) to make it all work. But I'll use a 1590B on any pedal I can physically fit the board into. I much prefer them over 125B's. Virtually everything I know about pedal building (which isn't a lot...) I've learned from the awesome folks at PedalPCB.com forum!
Thanks for the resources! I'll give those a look

I bought those when I had clue what I was ordering hahaha....I think they're vertical PCB mount jacks.
They worked well. I bought some of these to play with...pretty tight. If you clip the extra bit, you can even use it on a breadboard.

Back