Cleaver Katana

EZS

After a building break, I finished a Cleaver Boost Katana I had in my parts bin. Charge pump came from Tayda and works great. I biased the Jfets to 9v just because, and test run.
First thing I dont like is when the volume is at zero, so is you volume, none. Volume rises quickly with turn of knob though and boost comes on strong. I find the treble switch useless unless maybe for you single coil players. The gain switch is perfect if you like a load of cr-p in your pants. Seriouly though, its just a farting deep cap boost which is also pointless imho.
The boost sounds good minus the add ons. I would like to build another one omitting the switchs for sure. Sounds full through a driven Plexi. This is replacing an Arche' Boost which has this type of hard effect, but is also a good boost.
I know this isnt exciting and its old compared to the new boards out, but sharing my view on this all the rage boutique design.
Oh, I drilled one toggle hole a bit large otherwise I would not use toggle washers. 20230904_170148.jpg

Update review. I ordered a new pcb to build without tassels. I just rehearsed this through 2 Marshall rigs. 50w plexi into a Hot Plate, & Hot Rodded Master Volume MKII. This boost, below 1/4 turn, really thickens up the drive without any coloration. Really gives it that extra without being obvious. This can easily be an always on pedal too. I like it.

Back