Comprehensive Drive (Free The Tone String Slinger)

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Catching on a bunch of builds that I haven't posted about yet.

Mostly because I wanted to do a side by side demo of the pedals I built as they're all somewhat related to a "Dumble" sound.

First up is the Comprehensive Drive. The only thing that makes this associated with a Dumble is the name (String Slinger).
But the FTT website doesn't really claim it's based on a Dumble sound but rather a cranked Blackface.

They actually have a true D style pedal coming out soon called the "Overdriveland" that's along the lines of the Ethos in that it's a recreation of the whole Dumble preamp section. Looks cool to me!

Anyway, I've been sitting on this Comprehensive board for quite some time but never got around to building it until now. Man, what a great pedal.
Aside from some of the over the top marketing hype from the FTT folks (some of which can be attributed to the fact that they're Japanese and the translation can come across as hyperbolic) I'm finding the pedal to be very amp-like in it's sound and response. Big huge sound with tons of output and overhead as well.

The gain range is pretty wide, it can got from clean boost to super saturated drive. My good friend @szukalski recommended this pedal to me like over a year ago.

Anyway, tone demo will be coming in a "3 for 1" demo coming up shortly.

I used a Tayda Pearl Gray enclosure and some aluminum knobs I got off Aliexpress. The knobs look fantastic but they look a bit large for the 125b.
These are 20mm knobs. But the 15mm look too small. I have yet to find some nice 18mm aluminum knobs.
Waterclear red LED.

Very cool drive with a more "American" sounding gain and breakup. Highly recommended build.

IMG_5921.JPG

IMG_5920.JPG

It is a lovely build as always. Why does it have so many electrolytic caps?
It's the funky power section:
1697197592053.png
Vref_A looks really similar to Vref_B... then we clean the power again for the IC.. that's some clean power!

I can't argue with the end result, it sounds lovely.

Back