Conqueror fuzz inductor

Harry Klippton

Hey y'all as mentioned in this thread, I have a conqueror fuzz in my future. I saw that the parts list has a 500mH inductor, and yes I saw the threads about using the transformer that's half the cost of the cheap inductor from stompbox parts or whatever, but it just so happens I have a spare inductor laying around. It measured about 650mH. What effect, if any, will this have on the circuit?

You'll essentially shift change the frequency response by shifting the impedance of the L of the LC filter network up.

Inductor impedance: ZL = 2 x π x f x L
  • Z (impedance) is in Ohms
  • L is in Henries
  • f is in Hz
Given 220Hz:
  • At 500mH, the impedance is 691 Ohms
  • At 650mH, the impedance is 898 Ohms
The filter network there is a bit more complicated than I can analyze right now, but you'll probably want to reference some resonant frequency resources to see how that will affect the circuit.

The inductor in the Conqueror is part of an LC filter. The resonant freq of an LC filter is:

1656315176688.png
The freq is inversely proportional to the square root of the inductance. This means that a 20% change in inductance results in a 10% change in freq.

Don't sweat the difference between 500mH and 650mH. In reality, most of the 500mH wah inductors are not all that close to 500mH.

Those cheap-ass transformers are ok for the Conqueror, but I would not use one in a Wah pedal because they are too lossy and will reduce the Q.

Back