Crossover pedal?

DAJE

I know that such things exist; I found some expensive examples but nothing affordable when I was investigating that idea... is there a cheap alternative? Ideally a DIY PCB.

To be clear, I'm talking about a pedal that splits the signal and sends low frequencies to one amp and high to another, for example.

I don't know of any pre-fabbed specific DIY board, but...

You could DIY it by getting a

- JMK Paralyzer and then add in a couple of HPF/LPF EQ boards.

- A splitnblend or Paramix from GPCB and a couple of EQs ...

- Fuzzdog has PCBs to accomplish this, too.

etc...

Would be cool if Robert did something along this line.

Not very efficient use of space, but I wonder if you could do this with a dual pendulum board and resistors instead of the LDR.

I was just thinking that you could kinda do it with an Omnilooper. Although, it may need to be modded since each Send/Return uses a TRS in one jack. You could actually go to 4 amps, I guess. 1 LP, 1 HP, and 2 Full Range.

@Robert has mine to trace, so maybe down the line.

Here's a pedal with a cross over ...

mbhfjv726rl51.jpg

I was just thinking that you could kinda do it with an Omnilooper. Although, it may need to be modded since each Send/Return uses a TRS in one jack. You could actually go to 4 amps, I guess. 1 LP, 1 HP, and 2 Full Range.

@Robert has mine to trace, so maybe down the line.
I have been thinking about this more. I'm thinking you would only have 1 full range output. Based on the block diagram the actual Output jack wouldn't have signal by default because nothing returns to the pedal for summing. So, only 3 amps.

As a live engineer, i have trouble understanding why youd want a crossover on a pedal? I could maybe imagine a really over the top guitar rig with a 2/3 way speaker split, but most amps connected to those cab configurations already include the necessary ‘crossover’ points. Mostly external crossovers are kind of an analog or outdated form of PA setups. That being said, it sounds like you got a monster rig idea setup goin on, whatcha workin on/thinkin? I do sound for a lot of 2 piece bands who send their guitar to a bass amp via some sort of octaver or pitch or using an 8string, to varied results; a regular 6 string guitar going to a bass amp will never sound truly bassy, cuz it dont got that information.
Just curious and bored heh 😅

As a live engineer, i have trouble understanding why youd want a crossover on a pedal? I could maybe imagine a really over the top guitar rig with a 2/3 way speaker split, but most amps connected to those cab configurations already include the necessary ‘crossover’ points. Mostly external crossovers are kind of an analog or outdated form of PA setups. That being said, it sounds like you got a monster rig idea setup goin on, whatcha workin on/thinkin? I do sound for a lot of 2 piece bands who send their guitar to a bass amp via some sort of octaver or pitch or using an 8string, to varied results; a regular 6 string guitar going to a bass amp will never sound truly bassy, cuz it dont got that information.
Just curious and bored heh 😅
I play baritone guitar (tuned A to A), and I'm working on a band for that material. I also play both guitar and bass, and have amps for both.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom