Dark Esbat Boost - sounds BIG!

HamishR

I'm no heavy metal player but I do like some of those early '70s big amp sounds, and I love a treble booster. So I was very keen to try the Tony Iommi boost, and it went together easily and quickly. Sorry - no pics just yet, but we all know what these things look like by now...

It's a great sound. As a stand-alone dirt pedal maybe not so much - it has that old-fashioned transistor harshness which works better into an already breaking up sound. And like that it works very well. Into one of my favourite overdrives set for a low-gain tone (my standard sound really) it roars. The mids switch is useful as it adds gain and grunt with the mids, but I like it in the minimum setting too as a slight gain push and a tonal modifier and it modifies everything to be huge. I could play beautifully crisp low string riffs on my Les Paul into a 1x12 Bassman combo. The crispness and definition are exceptional. And it can make my Gretsch Duo Jet sound like a Les Paul!

I can see myself using this pedal a lot. Pushing a great OD it sounds so good - no fluff and mess, just clear, loud aggression and gloriously fat tone.

The only deviation from stock I made was to use TL072s, and they work perfectly. Low noise and a great sound. One of the better pedals I have built lately.

Back