SOLVED Delegate Compressor - Boneyard Edition - Help Needed PLEASE!

aienco

Hello everyone. I have just finished building the above. I have been troubleshooting an issue for a couple of days and tried all I know, so I am looking for some guidance please?

Pass through working fine. As soon as I switch it on, LED lights, but sound is dead. With the probe I have found that pin 3 on IC1 has sound but pin 1, which I assume is where it should be coming out from, has just noise. Same with resistor R3. So from there I took Voltage readings on IC1 which are not right. I checked D1 and have 9.1V, D2 is giving me a strage voltage of -3.4V? I would have thought it should be around 9V too? I have reflowed/re-soldered the whole board, replaced IC1 with a new one I had. I know the voltages on the IC are too low, but I don't know where else to look.
I measured voltages around the power coming in, but as I stated, other than the incoming voltage, I am not sure what the others should be? Voltages of IC1 are as follows?
1. 0V
2. 0V
3. 0.5V
4. 0V
5. 0.6
6. 0.8
7. 0.8
8. 1.3V
So I know these voltages are way too low and other than the above attemps, all I keep doing is going over the same things. That's when I admitted defeat and thought I would get some assistance...

Oh IC 2 Voltages
1 8.9
2 4.5
3 0
4 0
5 0
6 4.1
7 5.8
8. 8.9

Would welcome any guidance please?

Attachments

• 20221028_145701.jpg
    20221028_145701.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 42
  • 20221028_145759.jpg
    20221028_145759.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • 20221028_145826.jpg
    20221028_145826.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 28
  • 20221028_145851.jpg
    20221028_145851.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 40
Solution
Thanks HEAPS.... That did the trick. I didn't hold much hope because I have rarely had a faulty component, but I guess this time, one of the 4, either diodes or caps, were indeed faulty. As soon as it turns on, I get the LED infront of the LDR flashes and I have audio coming out the other side... I am so grateful to you and in your debt...:giggle:
Score! Great job. Enjoy the pedal!
Can you locate C8 and C12? Are those LEDs in those caps’ positions? I suspect that the problem is before IC1 and after IC2. If so, replace the LEDs with the appropriate caps, noting polarity.

Last edited:
No, According to my documentation and the silkscreen on the pcb, C8 is a 220n film capacitor and there is no C12?

Is my board and document incorrect??

Nope, you are correct. That was a "bonehead," not boneyard move. I was reading from the Delegate compressor (not the Boneyard version).

I would double check C101, C102, D101 and D102. I bet your problem is with either of those components. Since there is something drawing the current away from IC1, I am suspicious the problem is before it.

I am not very electrical minded, so maybe one of the more experience members can give you better direction. Sorry again about the misdirection.

Thank you for that clarification... I am with you.. I am not sure, I get around 9v D101, however on D102, I get a - NEGATIVE 3.4V. I suspect that is the problem, But I have changed D102 for a new one with no difference. Thats my confusion.

If you have replaced the diodes, I would try the caps next (101 & 102).
Thanks HEAPS.... That did the trick. I didn't hold much hope because I have rarely had a faulty component, but I guess this time, one of the 4, either diodes or caps, were indeed faulty. As soon as it turns on, I get the LED infront of the LDR flashes and I have audio coming out the other side... I am so grateful to you and in your debt...:giggle:

Score! Great job. Enjoy the pedal!

Solution
Back