Diode Thunderdome: 4 pairs enter, 1 pair leaves

Dan M

While auditioning clipping diodes, I realized it is more efficient and fun to take the time to setup some switches instead of manually swapping them in / out of the breadboard.

In the picture below, the 2 switches are spdt on-off-on. The blue wires are feeding the switch from the op amp output. Each switch can select 2 pairs of diodes or be set to OFF.

Considering the interaction between the diodes and the pots in this circuit AND the volume difference between the diode types, it was nice to be able to quickly switch settings without setting the guitar down.

In the end, I think I saved time by setting up the switches instead of repeatedly fiddling with the components.

23BDB1C6-C43C-41E4-9F1C-A50A2795BC0C.jpeg

If anyone is interested, this is a System Overdrive modded with a master volume and clipping options. I’ll make a thread in the mod section once I populate the board. I “sort of” liked the stock circuit, but it kicks ass with these simple additions. Thanks to @Chuck D. Bones for the breadboard, it is seeing some action :dmm::geek:

Do you use M/F jumper wires for the pots? What about the switches? Do they have wires soldered on?
Yes, Tayda jumpers on the pots and Tayda 24 gauge solid wire soldered to the switches. Lightly soldered so they’ll easily come apart if needed. But maybe I just commit these to be breadboard switches.

I was also thinking of dedicating one of the center holes to an ON-ON and wire it as a bypass. I find myself wanting a bypass if I’m testing the breadboard circuit stacked with another pedal.

I only bought M/F jumpers, I forgot to get M/M, so all of the board jumpering is using that same 24 solid wire. I’m slowly accumulating a bin full of various lengths.

I socketed a rotary-switched board for trying out different diodes, caps, etc...

img_3051-jpg.1084159

I've seen some pretty insane builds for trying out a dozen of so sets of diodes using vero and some DIP-switches, too.

Back