DMD-2 Modulated Delay

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Well, I had this project "staged" in my workbench (drilled, pots install, parts all pulled) and was planning to whittle away at it between today and tomorrow.

I went out during my lunch break and soldered the FV-1. Then at 2:30pm my internet went out. Wasn't restored until just about 30 minutes ago.

So I was pretty much dead in the water with work. Everything I do, including all the cloud based tools we use are useless if the internet was down.
I won't say I was too disappointed to have to cancel a couple of meetings:) I went and finished my DMD-2 build instead.

So I'm still trying out some different delays to see which one might be the best for my buddies acoustic rig that he asked me to build him.
I was eying and waffling on the DMD-2 then @Betty Wont pushed me over the edge. Anyone that has hand wired over 5000 pedals I'm gonna listen to:)

Great build, pretty easy despite a moderately high parts count. I think this may be the most 1u E caps I've ever put on a single board.
The cheek clencher is always soldering that FV-1. This is my 3rd one and it went pretty smooth and looks the cleanest of all the ones I've done so far. I think I'm getting the hang of it. I bit of my OCD kicking on making sure all the e caps lined up correctly.

Not sure the DMD-2 is the right one for my buddy but it's a great sounding delay. I was testing it side by side with the Magnetron, which sounds warmer and has less modulation control. Then I was running the Magnetron into the DMD-2 and getting some cool dual delay sounds. I'm not sure the Magnetron is right one either but I'm leaning that way, I'm thinking I might build the Cataclysm to check out. Maybe the D3Lay as well. (So much for not not building anymore digital delays hahaha..or overdrives...what I thinking?)

IMG_3308.JPG

IMG_3307.JPG

IMG_3306.JPG

So I did wind up sending this and a Gravitation Reverb to my buddy for his acoustic rig. I think it will sound great but we'll see how he likes.

In the meantime, for my desktop recording rig I've been using my Hydra Delay and still absolutely loving it. I particularly like the heads 3 & 4 on and getting that Andy Timmons dual delay sound, really comes close. After I built the DMD-2 I pulled out my Magnetron and Dark Rift and was comparing all 3. I'd forgotten how good the Dark Rift sounds as well. Right now in my amp set up I've got the Magnetron running into the Dark Rift in a dual delay set up with the same sound as the Heads 3+4 on the Hydra. They sound great in my amp's efx loop.

I'm mulling over converting to a stereo rig for my desktop recording rig and running the dual delays panned left and right. Not sure how I want to do it yet, but it's GOTTA be some DIY project:) I am committed to only playing my own builds. Just so much more satisfying for me!

Back