electrolytic caps… how to test if they are still good?

NewBanana

I started building pedals in 2008… plenty came out well and I collected a decent stock of components. But I developed an allergy to rosin. Needless to say the smoke from soldering put an end to my building. But long story short, enough time has passed that my allergy is gone and i’ve picked up the iron again.

So I have a stack of components but I’m wondering about the electrolytic caps. There is a chance they have dried up and so to prevent future frustration I’d like to test them… but I’m not sure how.

My DMM doesn’t have the functionality. Is there something I can rig up to test if they are working?

Thanks in advance
- chris

Charge up your capacitor and try lighting a led. Here's a thread I wrote while learning some basic theory

Charge up your capacitor and try lighting a led. Here's a thread I wrote while learning some basic theory

awesome. thanks! it’s amazing how much i forgot in 13 years…

Assuming the electrolyte hasn't leaked out...

Reforming the plates may be possible. Something about applying the rated voltage for some period of time...or like, a fraction of the rated voltage, then slowly increasing.

Never did it myself.

How long should say a Xicon 16volt electrolytic last in a parts bin, not subjected to any temperature or humidity extremes? I know that electrolytics crap out in amplifiers after decades through watching repair videos on youtube, but hadn't given a thought to my own parts stash.

How long should say a Xicon 16volt electrolytic last in a parts bin, not subjected to any temperature or humidity extremes? I know that electrolytics crap out in amplifiers after decades through watching repair videos on youtube, but hadn't given a thought to my own parts stash.
I believe the rated shelf life on average is 10 years. but there are clearly thousands of pedals and amps in the world that do just fine for decades. so i think the reality is a combination of build quality and randomness thrown in.

but even if a 10 year old cap is fine when you put it in, how long does it stay fine? anyone’s guess i suppose.

Back