Enclosure scratches 😑

Grubb

So last night I did something terribly dumb. It was just before bed and I should have just gone to bed and not tried to do one more thing 🤦

I got the painted/printed enclosure for my Parentheses build out of the protective Tayda bubble wrap and laid my newly soldered PCB on top just to ensure I'd got the hole alignment correct (I have). Of course sliding the sharp clipped edges of the component legs across the surface produced annoying scratches in the gloss black finish.

Any way of buffing these out? What would you use? The worst one is just below the A of Amplitude 😑 Screenshot_20210726-194009.jpg

The scratches appear to only be on the black powder coat and not on the printed parts at all, so you might have some luck drop-filling the scratches with some black tinted CA if the car polish suggested above doesn’t do it on its own.

I'd install the PCB in the enclosure, make sure it's all working, and then gig the pedal a dozen times or more with lots of stompage-use.

Then take photos and post in the build report: "Too busy gigging it to take pics til now".
Haha! I was thinking that my feet will probably mess it up anyway in no time. I don't think I'll order gloss black again though, shows scratches so easily!

I personally like it when a pedal looks a bit battered and bruised. It shows they get used. Embrace it IMO. 😁

Two options to consider:

- Dremel with a buffing wheel and some car polish compound. This would allow you to be very precise, don't run the Dremel too fast, you can burn the finish...

- Apply a couple of clear coats on top such as Krylon or other type, the clear coat should get in the scratches and make them disappear...

My 2 cents...

Back