Envelopequest (flyleaf, junk trunk w/ gas tank)

Mentaltossflycoon

Trigger warning. This is a tale of excess, indecision, and ends in one of the ugliest interiors I've ever posted here.

So lately I've been focused on envelope filters which is an effect I've historically not jived with. Mostly not stoked on the slappy funk thing that is often how it's used. In the past I've owned and sold a qtron, an fx25, built the fuzzdog mutron and gave it away. In the last few months I've built the duck box, cdxl, 7 of dwarves, spectron, junk trunk, and flyleaf pcbs. In the end I bonded with 2 that sound nothing alike. The mad bean junk trunk and lectricfx flyleaf.

I was torn between housing them together or separately and then house the junk trunk with its complimentary dirt, the mad bean gas tank that I had also already built up. I Couldn't choose so I didn't. Here's all 3 in an xx. I had to dissect the gas tank to make it fit. I tamed the spaghetti a little more after this photo but it's still chaos up in there.

You can see thewintersoldier's flyleaf build report for a description there, he covered that well. It's like a slightly grimey qtron which is much more pleasing to me.

The junk trunk/gas tank are interesting because they are connected so that the envelope is triggered by your non distorted signal. The distortion doesn't mess with how your articulation interacts with the envelope. So you can have distortion before the envelope without having to change the sensitivity. I don't love the gas tank on its own but It sounds awesome combined with the junk trunk.

Once again, a Max Ernst collage on the box.

Screenshot_20220612-011526_Gallery.jpg Screenshot_20220612-011600_Gallery.jpg

Last edited:
Trigger warning. This is a tale of excess, indecision, and ends in one of the ugliest interiors I've ever posted here.

So lately I've been focused on envelope filters which is an effect I've historically not jived with. Mostly not stoked on the slappy funk thing that is often how it's used. In the past I've owned and sold a qtron, an fx25, built the fuzzdog mutron and gave it away. In the last few months I've built the duck box, cdxl, 7 of dwarves, spectron, junk trunk, and flyleaf pcbs. In the end I bonded with 2 that sound nothing alike. The mad bean junk trunk and lectricfx flyleaf.

I was torn between housing them together or separately and then house the junk trunk with its complimentary dirt, the mad bean gas tank that I had also already built up. I Couldn't choose so I didn't. Here's all 3 in an xx. I had to dissect the gas tank to make it fit. I tamed the spaghetti a little more after this photo but it's still chaos up in there.

You can see thewintersoldier's flyleaf build report for a description there, he covered that well. It's like a slightly grimey qtron which is much more pleasing to me.

The junk trunk/gas tank are interesting because they are connected so that the envelope is triggered by your non distorted signal. The distortion doesn't mess with how your articulation interacts with the envelope. So you can have distortion before the envelope without having to change the sensitivity. I don't love the gas tank on its own but It sounds awesome combined with the junk trunk.

Once again, a Max Ernst collage on the box.

View attachment 27361View attachment 27362
I can't even imagine what this sounds like.....how about a demo? T'would be tres cool!

You know it may not be pretty, but I do love this kind of build because the spirit of DIY lives here. I have a soft spot for jamming boards in and running leads to make it work how you want to on the outside because you wanted a thing that wouldn't exist otherwise

Much appreciated y'all, I'll look into making a little demo soon. The order is gas tank > flyleaf > junk trunk so we'll get a decent idea of what the two filters sound like with the same dirt hitting them... differently.

It's hard to see but there's evidence of fig's influence in there with the purple pot condoms. I also used one pedalpcb 3pdt board just to represent the home team.

Looking forward to those build reports. Fingers crossed I remain happy with this one when you do. I need to stop with the envelope filters... I have a lowballer coming up but that doesn't count. That's a nostalgia build.

Figured I should throw the "losers" I mentioned here rather than their own build reports because I never took pictures of the guts before moving them on. I have nothing bad to say about either the duck box or the spectron. I just preferred the junk trunk/flyleaf. I already did a build report on the cdxl when I first completed it.

Duck box - sticker was a printing error but I liked that it looked like a ghost duck leaving its body. Sound wise, it's fun but it responded better to my tele better than my pbass. The knobs are hideous but it amuses me.

Screenshot_20220624-130257_Gallery.jpg

Spectron - an attempt at hand painting my little Swedish meatball joke. Filter sounds great but it's gigantic. There's a lot more bang for the buck in my pink 1590xx. All the wires inside are blue and yellow and the Swedish flag is painted on the back, again sorry no pics.

Screenshot_20220624-130412_Gallery.jpg

I’ve been very intrigued by envelope filters after seeing and older TPS clip where they visited AnalogMan and played his Envelope filter.

It took me a long time to get on board. I've been a large pedal board bassist for multiple decades and rarely has an envelope been involved. There was a short stint with a bassballs for 1 song and a few years with a bass micro synth that got some play time. My bandmates were pretty excited about the tones from that pink monstrosity last week. I've never heard anything about the analogman. I'll go check it out.

Back