Favorite/best ICs for Thermionic/DirtySanchez/Complex ODs?

Bucksears

I got a better pedal platform amp recently, and that made all the difference in several guitarl pedals that I had shelved due to them sounding 'below mediocre' through my other amp. As such, I'm absolutely LOVING the PPCB Brown Betty and Complex ODs.. I tweaked the latter last for to replace a couple of questionable-quality caps, and use 1S2473 diodes instead of 1N914/1N4148s.

I wanted the opinion of others who have used these circuits, to hear if you have a preference in ICs. I'm currently using 2 x TL072s and 2 x JRC4558s in the Complex; I got some more TL072s recently, and will use a full complement of those next. Don't know if anyone has tried Burr Browns/OPA2134s or any others that they feel sound/react better.
Thx!

Last edited:
BurrBrowns are $$$ and generally have a lower noise floor, which some say isn't needed in a dirt pedal, but rather is better for clean boosts, comps, EQ and anywhere else high-fidelity is required.

Nonetheless! Would be interesting to do some chip-rolling, for sure.

I'd probably use TL072 or TLC272 in those pedals, simply because that's what I have and they always sound good. I doubt you'll hear much difference with other dual opamp ICs. I've used the OPA2134 a fair bit and don't really hear any difference over a TL072. Occasionally you'll stick a different chip in and hear a slight difference but move one knob a tiny bit and that difference has disappeared.

But don't let me stop you from trying! You might hear something you like and that's all that matters. :)

In the Brown Betty, I think if you were going to notice any difference at all between ICs, it *might* be in IC3? That's the one that controls the mid and bass EQ and isn't being clipped to heck by the diodes.

You'd almost certainly get way more noticeable results by tweaking the r/c values in the EQ stages to taste than by swapping ICs in a circuit with this much clipping, but YMMV.

Thx guys
I was just curious if 'chip rolling' would make any kind of a difference (or if anyone else has done it) with these Friedman circuits.
I've heard distinct differences in Tubescreamers, thought I'd ask.

Back