Fume Extractors?

slacjs

I'm getting a sore throat every time I solder. I made a little DIY fan with a "filter" with the goal of at least blowing it away from my face but it's not great. I was thinking of connecting a long tube to the back of it and putting that outside the window.

Does anyone have any other solutions? I don't mind paying a bit of money for something that's going to help.

Would an air purifier be of any use?

Cheers.

Attachments

• IMG_0767.jpg
    IMG_0767.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I hear masks are fashionable of late. :rolleyes:

A purifier somewhere in the same room certainly helps. The fan I use has a carbon filter that also helps.
If you're having a lot of difficulty with it, you might mention it to your doctor. Sensitivities vary from bean to bean [humankind].

I built one out of an old computer fan, some filters and a tin. Works well if it's close to the source (but that sounds like the case for most of them).

Here's whatcha gotta do:

Put a big backwards incline exhaust fan on your rooftop, duct down into your workspace to a neederman arm, and bingo. Never deal with fumes again.

Which...is how all the tech companies around here do it, anywho.

I've got one of those computer fan carbon filters. It's decent, but it doesn't move a ton of air. You gotta be pretty close to the work in order for it to do anything. The problem you'd face if you attach a tube to the window is friction loss...that's a tiny fan, and it's not going to be very effective at pushing air down a duct. You'd be better off with a squirrel cage type for something like that. I imagine rigging up a small bathroom exhaust fan to operate on it's side would work for that, but there are probably better options.

HEPA filters are great. Indoor air is filthy anyways, can't hurt. A good carbon filter on a desktop fan is a good solution too.

I like the squirrel-cage type fans. Work a treat in getting hot air to circulate in old air-cooled VWs, too. The stock heating system in those old Dubs with the stock heat exchangers... like a hamster blowing through a straw.

I kept the old bathroom fan when it was replaced, for rigging up an extractor but never got around to making the frame for it.

Another +1 for the Kotto extractor placed as close as possible to the work piece. If you're using one of these little guys I'd also suggest turning off any overhead or other fans in the room since they're not super powerful and if there's any cross flow they basically stop working.

I have get a pretty bad allergic reaction to brazing flux/rosin-core solder (aka foundry flu), and using the Kotto diligently lets me manage it without having to wear a half-mask respirator.

Back