Fuzzdog Green Ghetto (Greer Ghetto Stomp/Green Giant)

geoffrey

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
So we've got a sweet 2-1 of a couple of discontinued Greer pedals here. I had heard of the Ghetto Stomp before, but never thought about finding a board for one until it was recommended by a friend who said Jeffy Tweedy had used it in the studio (this is pretty verifiable, if it matters to you). It is meant to recreate the sound of an old Valco or Supro (or even an old tweed).The Green Giant is a fuzz with a clean control (allowing you to reduce diode clipping) that Greer apparently made in small numbers for his investors or others in the Greer inner circle. The board allows you to build one of the two pedals on their own or a "best of both worlds" combination of the two. I chose the latter.

I'm really enjoying this pedal. Very pick/finger responsive and has a palpable AIB feel to it (surprise...it's a Greer). At low gain going into a clean amp it adds a little hair and grit to things. It starts to get crunchy around noon and into fuzz territory when dimed out. Interestingly, the tone control not only brightens things up but also affects the volume. The clean control does as advertised, and is especially fun to play with when at higher gain settings. The volume knob on your axe also partners well with this pedal, and you can switch things up quite a bit without even having to touch this pedal. Sounds great with a Rangefinder slammed into it and with a Maleficent Mids behind it.

Went with a hammered silver enclosure that I recently got from Antique Electronic Supply. The 3 green knobs are the traditional Vol, Gain, and Tone, with the white knob being the clean control. Per FD's recommendation, I socketed the transistor and diodes in case I want play around with them later.

Fuzzdog never disappoints, but this is particularly simple and easy build with very few components. A good build for a noob or someone who wants to rip out a pedal real quick.

Again, an interesting pedal...especially if you're an OD-a-holic like myself 🤪 . Recommended!

IMG_9131.jpg
IMG_9132.jpg

I wish I could hear a sound sample… I’ve never purchased from fuzz dog..
I'll see if I can get a demo up that sounds halfway decent!

You can't go wrong with Fuzzdog. My 2nd go to after PPCB, of course. Never had an issue with any of his boards and they've all turned out great. He's an OG who knows what he's doing and has some cool circuits. Shop with confidence.

Solid build and report.
I'm always intrested in the two-fer builds such as this Ghetto Giant, or Aion's Maelstrom, a Darkglass BK3/Vintage-Microtubes mashup.
Thanks for posting.

Heads-Up!
For N'Americans, SynthBearSmallCube has started to carry Fuzzdog — just the One Knob Fuzz at the moment, but hopefully that's just the spearhead of the British Fuzzdog invasion. There are a quite a few Fuzzdog boards I've been interested in, circuits that aren't available elsewhere or are laid out how I like — just haven't pulled the trigger yet 'cause overseas and backlog; however, if available on this side of the pond, resistance will be futile...

________
| wwww |

Back