Fuzzhugger Phantom Octave - Octave LED?

Anyone out there ever build (clone PCB or vero/perf board) of the Fuzhugger Phantom Octave circuit?

Had ordered a number of PCBs from Moonn Electronics, and as a bonus they included their take on this circuit, the "Opera" (https://moonnelectronics.bigcartel.com/product/opera). I had all the parts, so gave it a go a little while ago and it's definitely as described... loads of somewhat unpredictable fuzz that sounds better/worse depending upon the guitar used.

As a casual builder, I'm still in the "paint by numbers" stage and don't try to steer too far from the included instructions. But in this case I thought I'd take a slight detour for cosmetic sake, and move the blue LED (D3... I believe this is for the octave up) from the PCB and mount it to the enclosure. So you could see the LED light up from the signal, as was done in some youtube demos of this circuit.

I'm getting a bit of the advertised octave up, but the LED doesn't light when passing signal. Any idea why this might be? I just finished up my Parenthesis build and the red LED for the distortion circuit definitely lights up... perhaps the voltage passed is not enough to light up a blue one? Or maybe because the Parenthesis LED is for clipping as opposed to octave?

Obviously not a big deal, but thought I'd ask around. Thanks for any guidance!!

Back