FV1 preset footswitch

Funnel

Hi, I don't know if this is possible, but I would love to be able to have control of the presets via a footswitch. So if I needed more than one effect in a song I could just bank up to the preset I need. I would probably use it either on the development board or one of the multi-effects pedals, like the octagon.

I'm not very experience with the FV-1, but I thought I'd add my thoughts for the sake of discussion and to see what PedalPCB has to say.

If you're planning on getting the development board and doing some programming, I think you could work up a crude version of this with minimal alterations to the PCB. It wouldn't be a true favorites switch but it would give you access to one other sound. You could hardwire a stomp switch to apply 3.3v to both pins 16 & 17, which I think would be program 003? (use diodes to isolate the lines similar to the new octagon with the 8way switch). Then on that program you could set all the parameters internally, so that the position of the 3 control knobs don't have any effect on the sound. The the mix and volume controls would be the same as the 'non-favorite' mode, although I think the mix control could be routed to separate mix pot via the stomp switch).

In summary, this would give you:
A stomp switch (with LED if you like) to select a predetermined program, with no on-board parameter control, and the mix control either the same as the 'non-favorite' mode, or a separate mix knob for the favorite, routed through the switch. Admittedly this is quite limited functionality, but if you had a specific function in mind, it might be fun.

As far as I can tell, a true momentary favorites switch would require microcomputer control on the mode (pins 16, 17, 18), and the control pots (pins 20, 21, 22). And changing the mix and volume would still be a concern, since those controls are analogue. This would be a pretty cool project for a larger box, if the complexity/size/cost benefits are worth it compared to just building 2 fv-1 pedals.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

100% what phi1 said. You could definitely rig a simple 2 button footswitch to switch to 2 non-default programs, similar to a channel footswitch for an amp. Some diodes needed. More control would require some kind of logic programming with small microcontroller(s) or similar.

To take it a step further, this is calling for midi control which sounds complicated but should be relatively straightforward. So you can configure a footswitch or loop-switcher to recall your specific program/effect (from #1 to #8).

So I'm intrigued by this midi control idea. I like the idea of being able to cycle through program 1-8. Since I don't have experience with these pedals, when you change the pedal program, lets say 1 to 2, are the potentiometers saved from the last time program 2 was used or would they be how the pedal is currently set.

I have built the arachnid with 8 patches using the EEPROM builder. Each mode just reads the physical values of the pots. It does not remember the last position they were in when you were in that mode.

I'm just starting to learn about the fv-1 programming, so I can't comment if it would be possible to program a feature like this in... My guess would be no, but I'd love to hear differently. If indeed it is no, then maybe the voltage on each pot pin would have to be controlled via a microcontroller, which could remember favorite pot positions, and read new ones after a knob is moved.

Adding to Mr. Phi1's comment, to my knowledge, yes, you could use the microcontroller to control digital potentiometers for each program. If I was doing it for myself, I would add 3 LED-buttons and have those used to recall the programs and corresponding pot. settings. Each pot now has to be wired indirectly via the digital potentiometers. You can still manually change the pots anytime. To store a program, simply long-press a button. External footswitch (optional) to select one of 3 programs. I guess this is becomes a full multi-effects box that way.

There's a pedal review website that mentions that guitar pedals are going small and having more flexibility/blending/program recall/etc. so this approach seems feasible.

From what I can see the FV-1 is very nice to work with.

I am getting back into this hobby, and right now I have 6 projects from this site on my long term to-do list. KV-1 looks awesome... chorus, delay, reverb in one pedal! Sweet. Order going in soon. 8)

Thank you all for your feedback. I have just been researching the idea of programming digital effects via the fv 1. a lot of what I am looking to do is ambient reverbs/delays. So having the ability to switch presets live (with my feet) is important.

If I'm understanding correctly I can use a daughterboard to do what I am wanting.
sertanksalot you mentioned a micro controller to control the digital pots, would this be something like the arduino nano?

Yes, by my reckoning an Arduino, AVR board or PIC would do the trick. I prefer a plain AVR board (which the Arduino is based on) if I was doing it myself.

Also the existing pedals that are out are awesome already, like Strymon, Empress, Chase Bliss, EHX, etc., to name a few. We are living in the future.:)

Back