"Ge" Diodes

Hey all! Fairly new to pedal building, and have mostly been just following the instructions when I can, but would like to actually start better understanding some standard parts I often seen in builds and wondering if ya'll have some education to drop on me about Ge diodes.

For instance, I'm looking to build this Fuzzy Foxx octave fuzz, and it requires 4 Ge diodes. Are there specific Germanium diodes I should be looking for? If so, how do I find/understand which Germanium diodes best suit the build?

Basically, hoping to learn everything I can about Germanium diodes and which ones to use when, especially when the only info I have to go on are in the parts list as "GE".

I'm just so excited to learn about all of these different parts and would appreciate any of ya'lls input and advice, and if you don't feel like explaining, maybe directing me to some good resources I can comb over too.

Much obliged and thank you for any info you can pass on!

Check out the build doc for the Vulcan project at the Aion Electronics site. It’s also based on the Fox tone machine. I haven’t compared the schematics, but the build docs give some info on the diodes.

Last edited:
Back