General questions on component orientation

carlsoncoder

Hi all -

I just ordered some parts for the "Cross Contaminator" build. I have all the components and just waiting on the PCB's in the mail.

I'm familiar with soldering but not so much with reading PCB layouts. I figured most of it out with some searches and the WIKI, but have a few quick questions I was hoping someone might be able to answer. I'm referring to this build guide:

https://docs.pedalpcb.com/project/CrossContaminator.pdf

Questions:

1. Some of the capacitor connections on the PCB show a +/- (C2, C3, C7, C100, C5), while others don’t (C1, C4, C6, C8, C9). Does this mean the polarity orientation just doesn't matter for those ones?
  2. 2N1711 transistors - these are NPN and I know which pin on the transistor is the Base/Emitter/Collector - but I’m not sure which pin goes to where on the PCB?
  3. 1/4” TS jacks - Sleeve goes to ground (on PCB) and tip goes to the footswitch, right?
Thanks for any help you can provide!

1) Yes, generally the polarized capacitors are electrolytic (which have the negative leg marked with a band on the side or designated by a shorter leg) and everything nonpolarized is film/ceramic.

2) On the top silkscreen of the board there should be a flat side and a rounded side just like the transistor itself. Be careful if you use a substitute that the pin out matches, check the data sheet as you may need to flip it around.

3) Yes

On the top silkscreen of the board there should be a flat side and a rounded side just like the transistor itself. Be careful if you use a substitute that the pin out matches, check the data sheet as you may need to flip it around.

So, I just checked my transistors. They are 2N1711 transistors from Central Semiconductor:

I found the datasheet (https://my.centralsemi.com/datasheets/2N1711.PDF), so I'm able to tell which pin is the Emitter/Base/Collector. However, the full transistor is circular all around, and does not have a flat-side.

I followed the circuit diagram on the cross contaminator build docs, and I think that the arrow points in the direction of the current of the transistor, so I'd assume that would be the emitter right? If that's right and I read the rest of the circuit right, I think it would go like this:

• Q1
    • (Left most pin on board for Q1) - Pin labeled as “1” with an arrow pointing towards R3
      • Emitter goes here
    • (Middle pin on board for Q1) - Pin labeled as “2”, no arrow, trace goes to R4
      • Base goes here
    • (Right most pin on board for Q1) - Pin labeled as “3”, no arrow, trace goes to R6
      • Collector goes here
  • Q2
    • (Left most pin on board for Q2) - Pin labeled as “1” with an arrow pointing towards R5/C5
      • Emitter goes here
    • (Middle pin on board for Q2) - Pin labeled as “2”, no arrow, trace goes to C6/Q1/R6
      • Base goes here
    • (Right most pin on board for Q2) - Pin labeled as "3", no arrow, trace goes to C7
      • Collector goes here

Does that sound right or did I miss something? Just want to make sure it's right before I solder.

Thanks!

Back