GIMP is like building a thermo nuclear reactor in complexity

This GIMP program is kicking my ass. Would anyone possibly be so kind as to make a 10 or 15 step total moron guide to GIMP from taking a PedalPCB PDF drilling template, getting it into gimp, placing text at each knob, drawing in knobs so the text clears the knob, etc so i can print some dry runs and see how they fit before I try it on expensive vinyl paper? I can pay nothing, only flattery and compliments.

I know nothing about Gimp but there are a ton of Inkscape tutorials on YouTube And if you google exactly what you are trying to accomplish there is usually a direct answer... at least that’s been my experience... but it isn’t a very intuitive interface... but I think that’s most vector program from what I understand. There is just a learning curve you have to endure for a little bit... I think most of us struggle with it at least I know I do.

I've used both Gimp and Inkscape and there is definitely a learning curve. Gravit Designer is by far my favorite for creating pedal designs. I use it on my Chromebook and it is easier to learn in my opinion. It's also free. You just import the pdf of the pedal templates from PedalPCB and then edit accordingly.

I've used both Gimp and Inkscape and there is definitely a learning curve. Gravit Designer is by far my favorite for creating pedal designs. I use it on my Chromebook and it is easier to learn in my opinion. It's also free. You just import the pdf of the pedal templates from PedalPCB and then edit accordingly.
I'll have to check that out - I was looking for a vector program that I could use on my Chromebook but obviously didn't do that great of a job looking because I'd not heard of that one.

Thanks!

I know nothing about Gimp but there are a ton of Inkscape tutorials on YouTube And if you google exactly what you are trying to accomplish there is usually a direct answer... at least that’s been my experience... but it isn’t a very intuitive interface... but I think that’s most vector program from what I understand. There is just a learning curve you have to endure for a little bit... I think most of us struggle with it at least I know I do.
I am trying INKSCAPE now. It is very easy to IMPORT the PDF (page 5) but what I cannot figure out how to CUT away the main drill template middle part and then PASTE IT to a damn layer. When I select it, all it does it makes it turn solid blue. All I am trying to do is just get the drilling template out of the PDF and onto a "canvas" that is 120mm tall by 65mm wide which is the size i need for my 125B.

This might be overkill, but here is a quick video on how I use Gravit Designer just in case someone wants to try it. There's no sound, so if you're interested and want more info about how I did something in the video, just let me know.

Ive been using Affinity Design and its been super useful and pretty intuitive even though i have no idea what im doing. Havent tried Inkscape, but 30 minutes with GIMP was enough to send me elsewhere!

I've used GIMP since 2014.

This video gave me the basics then I just googled anything I needed to do from there. There is a definite learning curve but that's true for any program like this.

I am trying INKSCAPE now. It is very easy to IMPORT the PDF (page 5) but what I cannot figure out how to CUT away the main drill template middle part and then PASTE IT to a damn layer. When I select it, all it does it makes it turn solid blue. All I am trying to do is just get the drilling template out of the PDF and onto a "canvas" that is 120mm tall by 65mm wide which is the size i need for my 125B.
When I import a drill template into inkscape, I then make my own drill marks right over top and align them exactly with the drill template. Once I "group" the items together so they can't move independently, I delete the drill template

No joke, but the art/design/software/etc is 1,000x more difficult than the actual build itself.
I do all of my graphics in GIMP. It was worth the learning curve.
View attachment 14490
cool idea to put the drill size in the holes. i will have to keep hacking my way through inkscape. between gimp and inkscape, the latter seems to be "easier". I am not a graphics person at all so this is all very new. this part is 1,000x more difficult than the built itself.

When I import a drill template into inkscape, I then make my own drill marks right over top and align them exactly with the drill template. Once I "group" the items together so they can't move independently, I delete the drill template
One thing that's always bothered me about GIMP is that 'locking' layers doesn't prevent you from moving them. So even when you go to move a tiny piece of text or a symbol, you often accidentally move your background.

One thing that's always bothered me about GIMP is that 'locking' layers doesn't prevent you from moving them. So even when you go to move a tiny piece of text or a symbol, you often accidentally move your background.
Yup I'm so used to hitting ctrl Z that I don't think about it now but I do that all of the time.

After totally hacking my amateur way through INKSOFT I was FINALLY able to figure out how to do it. it is NOT intuitive at all and was very manual to clean up the PDF import. BUT. i got the layers i needed, adding 20mm knobs, centered the text to the knobs etc. here is my mock up onto the dirty sanchez. i was then able to do the same for my plumes and my favorite face melter using the same "techniques" with the inksoft starting by importing the PDF final page and then putting my stuff on top. TOTAL AMATUER HACK situation here, boys. next step will be using the expensive sticker paper and trying it for real.

Attachments

• IMG_20210805_073513.jpg
    IMG_20210805_073513.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
I'm Adobe Illustrator all the way for my graphics. I actually use Photoshop pretty rarely in comparison.

Back