DEMO Guyatone Distortion H (Vero) and Aion's Beta Preamp

This post contains an audio or video demo

eh là bas ma

Two interesting effects :

Aion's Beta Preamp with toggles to swap between Bass and Guitar modes.

https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/beta_preamp_documentation.pdf

I'm glad I could manage to fit these two extra switches, both settings are great with a very noticeable change in the tone and the EQ controls.
IMG_20230429_040348.jpg IMG_20230429_040417.jpg
There was something wrong with the Treble control, on two other forum members's builds and on mine. A 10k resistor between the Treble pot lug3 and the pcb pad solved it.

It gives a sharp and precise distorted sound with gain around 12', EQ is very effective to shape the tone, the Bass control in both versions isn't too overwhelming, it's very well calibrated.
It can get very heavy on the bass frequencies without too much negative impact on the distorted signal, as it often happens with other EQ, when Bass on high values gives a very muddy distorted sound.

The C-MOS compression is really interesting and satisfying. Lots of volume and gain on tap. Highly recommended !

Guyatone PS-024 Distortion H

https://dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com/2021/10/guyatone-ps-024-distortion-h.html

"PS024 Distortion H shares some similarities with Boss HM2 but it still differs enough to not qualify as a clone. The most eye catching feature is the 5 band graphic eq at the end of the circuit"

A simplified clone of DEFX Hive. I was curious about the 5-bands EQ chip, I can say I am impressed and very pleased with the results.
First time using a pre-painted enclosure. I think i like it...but it's a bit too simple. I added a piece of vero board to make it a bit more suited to my tastes.

Here is a demo, I hope you'll be able to hear the EQ's action :

I tried the circuit with different transistors and ICs, but I am not sure there's a real difference. I've still added the sound clip in the demo, just to hear how little is the variation (RC4558P & BC550C vs. MC1458 & 2N3904 starting at 2:17').
You'll find details about knobs settings in the description, on SoundCloud.

Never tried an HM-2 before, but I don't think the PS-24 is very close to the HM-2's sounds. I'd say there is a more traditional "vintage" character in the PS-24. It's not as metal-oriented as the HM-2.

I guess the M5226P chip is saving a lot of circuitry and space in the enclosure ? Without it, for a 5-controls EQ, wouldn't it require a board twice as big ?

Edit :
The EQ sounds like it is only boosting some frequencies. At first I thought the flat position was 12', but when all EQ controls are fully CCW, it sounds good, like flat distortion. Only downside is that we can't cut some frequencies from the flat distorted sound, EQ controls has to be set somewhere CW, to be able to dial down one of the EQ band, and cut some frequencies from the signal.
That's why I don't think it's as effective as a GE-7, which can increase or decrease the volume of the frequencies, even when starting from flat settings.

As comparison, I'd say it feels like a GE-7 with sliders that can only go up.

Edit 2 : I played with this circuit for a few weeks. Five EQ controls, lots of possibilities.
I guess the circuit itself is mid-oriented, with a noticeable boost. That would explain why it sounds quite heavy on the mids with all EQ controls at 12'. I'd be curious to listen to an other circuit built around the M5226P EQ chip, as comparison.
When the gain is turned up past 3/4, lots of high frequencies and compression appear, flattening the signal.

Last edited:
Back