How to test pcb before soldering on-board pots?

krupdb8

I am building two Kliche Minis -- one for guitar, and one modded per Chuck's article for bass. I'm fairly new to pedal building and had a couple of miserable failures (which I need to go back and diagnose) before a couple of recent successes. My soldering has greatly improved, and I now understand the value of testing before boxing :)

I want to use the on-board pads for direct soldering of the pots rather than wiring, so what is the best to test a board before soldering the on-board pots in place? The Kliche Mini has B10K for treble, B100K dual gang for gain, and either B10K for guitar volume, or A10K for bass volume. Any advice on how to make placeholders for them would be very helpful.

Thanks!
Ken

I usually fit the pots in the enclosure and solder them anyway.
Then I use these.
The box is a small bear discount predrill, that I added to. It breaks out each of the 3 jacks.
For now, I just clip the leads onto the pins of the clamps. Will eventually get around to making a universal header/adapter. Just got them about 10 days ago. Way easier than the beads and loops I was using before. Switched to using XH2.54 headers for power as well. Costs about 10 cents per pedal.

Attachments

• IMG_20230620_181707287_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230620_181707287_HDR.jpg
    338.6 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
If you just tack folder them for testing, they’re pretty easy to remove with a solder sucker.

Or you can check your voltages. That won’t help with audio, though.

I always freehand solder my pots to the board without an enclosure. You could use the enclosure to solder the pots and then just take it back out for testing

Back