I have a new toy!

JamieJ

I am not in a band or have ever done any live playing so I mostly enjoy playing with myself umm.. I mean by myself using my ditto looper (formerly a modded RC-1 which recently died that I need to trouble shoot). I picked up one of these fairly cheaply from the Bay to add to the home looping experience and to make my looping more musical. I am also definitely not a drummer so I am enjoying learning how best to make beats on this to loop over.

I need to have a think how to best integrate it into my board - whether I have it as a split A/B input just before the looper (end of the chain) or right at the front with a DIY AB switcher so that my board can effect the drum signal as well. Or could I have it have it as two inputs blended (guitar and drum) into one?

Anyone else use a drum loop with their guitar or bass? And if so how do you set it up with your other effects?

IMG_0842.jpg

Last edited:
I have an MPC One that I use sometimes. I need to get better with it, but it's like learning an entirely new instrument.

I have everything (bass, a couple of synths, and the MPC) running in to an Allen & Heath Zedi 10FX mixer and then feed it all back in to the MPC with the main outs. I can then feed whichever channels I need in to Reaper from the A&H mixer with the USB to record while being able to hear everything at once. (Now I just need to actually use it so that I can become proficient with it all).

I have an MPC One that I use sometimes. I need to get better with it, but it's like learning an entirely new instrument.

I have everything (bass, a couple of synths, and the MPC) running in to an Allen & Heath Zedi 10FX mixer and then feed it all back in to the MPC with the main outs. I can then feed whichever channels I need in to Reaper from the A&H mixer with the USB to record while being able to hear everything at once. (Now I just need to actually use it so that I can become proficient with it all).
MPC user here also. I also use a small mixer (Mackie 802) in which is patched my guitar+pedalboard (with a UniCab as an insert); an MPC; and a synth. I have a couple effects in the Send/Return of the mixer to use on the MPC and synth.
I use the looper function of the MPC (JJOS2 function) so that I can send any channel of the mixer to the MPC through the Mute/Alt out function of the mixer.
Hope that makes sense.

MPC user here also. I also use a small mixer (Mackie 802) in which is patched my guitar+pedalboard (with a UniCab as an insert); an MPC; and a synth. I have a couple effects in the Send/Return of the mixer to use on the MPC and synth.
I use the looper function of the MPC (JJOS2 function) so that I can send any channel of the mixer to the MPC through the Mute/Alt out function of the mixer.
Hope that makes sense.

You must be an old school MPC user with JJOS. Which MPC are you using? When I get back in to it I might have to ask you for some advice.

You must be an old school MPC user with JJOS. Which MPC are you using? When I get back in to it I might have to ask you for some advice.
Yep, MPC1000. I'm not the most savvy, but I do know a few tricks. Don't hesitate, I'll try to answer to the best of my knowledge.
I've been on-again off-again considering an Elektron device. Maybe the Model:Cycles, Digitakt, or Digitone. Anyone use one of those?
The Digi family is quite nice, really depends on what you want to do (sampling/sequencing samples/drums for the Digitakt VS FM synthesis for the Digitone (on which you could do FM drums).

I've been on-again off-again considering an Elektron device. Maybe the Model:Cycles, Digitakt, or Digitone. Anyone use one of those?
I use an Electron Model Samples with real drum samples. I don't run it through my guitar loop though. It's on a separate FRFR speaker. Has its own reverb and delay but I've also ran it through my HX Stomp.

It's fun and easy to use for jamming and loooping but I find EZDrummer much easier and quicker for actual song writing and recording.

Way back when, a friend had a Dr Rhythm... my how things have changed.

Beat Buddy, at end of chain so I can use the headphone outlet. (actually mostly use it on its own)
I need to put it in my LS-2 so I can effect it and listen to it affected through the headphones... hmm not sure how that'll work.
Send it all out to my practice amp (Roland Bass Cube, which has a small assortment of beats). Yup, haven't experimented at all with affecting the Buddy with effects. I've been remiss.

Back