Ionizer2 Fuzz

VanWhy

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
I admittedly know little about Devi Ever and circuit other than perusing the internet a little. I try to avoid drama but there does seem like a lot of controversy surrounding this one. I don't have much of an opinion there. What I do have an opinion of, is the sound of this circuit. I absolutely love this pedal. It's ugly, nasty, dirty, but in the most beautiful way. It's almost evil which is why I went with the evil graphics.

I think you either love or hate this pedal. It's gated and crushed but easy to dial in. And the oscillation knob is just insane. I can just have so much fun with it. Very close to some Monolord, Electric Wizard, etc.

I went exactly with the BOM. I really like how the graphic turned. Too bad I screwed up the lower edge when applying. The decal is much blacker than what is seen on the pic. But it's gets the point across.

Attachments

• 20231003_183203.jpg
    20231003_183203.jpg
    576.5 KB · Views: 26
  • 20231003_183146.jpg
    20231003_183146.jpg
    959.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231003_183154.jpg
    20231003_183154.jpg
    891.6 KB · Views: 23
  • 20231003_183210.jpg
    20231003_183210.jpg
    412 KB · Views: 28
I just built on stripboard the version without the Oscillation control in an 1590A box.
After I put the everything into the box, I got a loud oscillation noise that change pitch turning the Intensity control, but even the volume of the guitar.
It was causes by the tip of the input plug, it touched the tip lug of the output jack.
I solved it, because it wasn't what I wanted, but that's a nice trick to make some noise. :)

What was the drama with Devi ever? I’ve heard it mentioned a ton but I’ve never heard what the actual drama was?

What was the drama with Devi ever? I’ve heard it mentioned a ton but I’ve never heard what the actual drama was?
From my understanding, Devi had a kickstarter for her pedal business and either pocketed the cash or spent it and did not deliver on the pedals requested of her. Being cash strapped, she eventually sold the name to Dwarfcraft. Plus there has been some drama with depression/addiction and how people deal with her being trans. Again, this is just from my understanding.

or just google Devi Ever

BTW I looooove the hyperion circuit. It's super gnarly/nasty. Great build!
Thanks!
From my understanding, Devi had a kickstarter for her pedal business and either pocketed the cash or spent it and did not deliver on the pedals requested of her. Being cash strapped, she eventually sold the name to Dwarfcraft. Plus there has been some drama with depression/addiction and how people deal with her being trans. Again, this is just from my understanding.

or just google Devi Ever
@drgonzo1969 This is what I've heard as well. Along with allegedly JHS "stole the circuit and sold it for twice the price". 🤷‍♂️

Yeah the Devi drama went in a lot of directions. She came out the other side with a shitty business reputation but there was a lot of weird trans hate flying around at the time too so I've always felt compelled to defend her, though not about the kickstarter bs.

Thanks!

@drgonzo1969 This is what I've heard as well. Along with allegedly JHS "stole the circuit and sold it for twice the price". 🤷‍♂️
It wasn't "allegedly", JHS straight up used the Hyperion circuit for one of his pedals (I think it was the BunRunner?). The smoking gun was he copied an "error" from the schematic - two back-to-back 100nF DC blocking caps where one would have sufficed, but because it was two separate Devi circuits combined (the output cap of one circuit and the input cap of the next), she left that bit in originally.

(which always goes back to "does JHS actually understand the schematics he's copying" because his whole "these are basic circuit building blocks and there are only so many ways they go together" schtick would be a lot more defensible if he didn't keep getting caught doing this kind of shit.

And, love or hate her, Devi Ever's circuits aren't exactly sound from an engineering standpoint, but they're *certainly* amongst the most unique and least "basic circuit building blocks" circuits out there.)

And then when this was pointed out, JHS started calling their common distributors trying to get them to stop carrying Devi Ever pedals.

The Kickstarter drama sucks (and she's admitted as much) but absolutely should not ever drown out either the *blatant* JHS bullshit nor the transphobia that followed.

I’ve always liked JHS just because they are located in Kansas City and I’m from there originally but my opinion of them is constantly dwindling

Back