Is this how to do direct-to-switch trans/cap switching?

tegendemuur

First time going off-road, so I love to hear if this is the right way to do this? Or if there's better ways to implement such things on bought boards?

I just used some wrinkled / dead components, so the values should be ignored. Also gonna figure out a way to get sockets on those lugs. Just wondering if the routing itself is okay!

There's gotta be lists out there online that have guidelines for this, right? I couldn't find them! And if there are, there's the link-rot among images that has made many pages unusable (like, how to swap a boss momentary switch with a typical 3pdt foot switch).

Edit: wrong cap switch removed!

Attachments

• trans.png
    trans.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Caps, no

Using a DPDT on-off-on numbered thusly:

—1 4—
—2 5—
—3 6—

Solder a cap across lugs 1 & 4, 2 & 5, 3 & 6:

1-C6-4
2-C5-5
3-C7-6

CAP SWAP.png

Wire from the original cap input-spot on the board to LUG 2; wire from the original cap output-spot to LUG 5.

TOGGLE DOWN connects the top switch half, cap total value = C5+C6
OFF middle toggle position gets you ONLY C5
TOGGLE UP connects the lower half, cap total value = C5+C7

If you only want/need two values, use a DPDT ON-ON and omit C5.

DPDT switchery - 3 on-on-on types.jpg

FOR THE ABOVE ON-ON-ON, TYPE 3 IS MORE COMMONLY REFERRED TO AS TYPE 1

Trans, okay
If using BJTs and the emitter goes to ground, you can use a DPDT

@Feral Feline Amazing reply as always! Thank you so much!

Edit: there's really no end to buying parts at this initial stage. This component company must be getting nuts from my order that's on hold due to back order coming in, and all the extra stuff that I keep adding on top of it, because I can... 😅

Last edited:
@Feral Feline Amazing reply as always! Thank you so much!

Edit: there's really no end to buying parts at this initial stage. This component company must be getting nuts from my order that's on hold due to back order coming in, and all the extra stuff that I keep adding on top of it, because I can... 😅
Waar koop jij je componenten? (Who is your supplier?)

@Einzeln For now everything comes from Musikding and Banzai Music for pedal-specific parts, and some Dutch DIY electronic stores for basic component sets and such.

@jwin615 Ha, if this is what you meant, it's so much more than that. What a busy-busy thing! Thank you. :)

"With the rotary switches you will be able to switch between 8 clipping and 4 transistor option.. Additionally you have 4 toggle switches to change the input capacitor, the feedback and collector resistors or add some additional filter capacitors. This adds up to 2.592 different options"

@jwin615 Ha, if this is what you meant, it's so much more than that. What a busy-busy thing! Thank you. :)

"With the rotary switches you will be able to switch between 8 clipping and 4 transistor option.. Additionally you have 4 toggle switches to change the input capacitor, the feedback and collector resistors or add some additional filter capacitors. This adds up to 2.592 different options"

This one

He has a few different utility PCBs though

Back