Isosceles Level Pot Value

williamonep

Hi all,

I have a possibly inane question. The level pot on the isosceles is a 5k audio taper. However, I can only find a 10k audio taper. Given that it appears that the pot acts as a voltage divider in conjunction with R10 (220R) and R19(220R), would it be possible to scale the resistor values to compensate for a different value pot in place of the 5k? I attached a screenshot of the schematic so nobody needs to dig it out of their disorganized documents folder like I did. Thanks in advance! Isosceles Preamp output stage.jpg

One way you could address this if you didn’t want to hold out for the correct pot is to tune the pot down by soldering a resistor across lug 1 and 3 to get the proper value although this is preferable for a linear pot. This method can change the characteristics of a logarithmic depending on values of the pot and resistor.

The Level pot is directly linked (DC coupled) to the Treble/Bass pots & both switches, so there is a possibility that changing the overall resistance (i.e. scaling up R10/R19) of the voltage divider would change the behavior of those controls. If your pot is a 10K log pot, your best bet is to do what Paradox916 mentioned and solder a 10k resistor across lugs 1 & 3. It will change the taper somewhat, but you'll still have the same range of volume levels and you won't be messing with the other controls.

Back