Jürgen Haible Wasp CV Filter?

drgonzo1969

Jürgen Haible Wasp CV Filter just popped on today on dirtboxlayouts.blogspot.com. I have no idea what it is but i'm intrigued. I looked at some youtube videos and it was all eurorack stuff. Can this be built as a guitar pedal? sounds like fun maybe...

Filter from the EDP Wasp synthesizer
1700113284834.jpeg
A vintage monophonic hybrid analog/digital synth with notes for its really cheap touchpad keyboard, poor tuning stability, and absolutely incredible sounding filter. Most notably used by Devo prior to their first album (there’s a great video of Booji Boy ripping a solo on one around ‘77 while rolling around on the floor and crooning like an ill rodent) as well as the Flaming Lips, Chris Carter of Throbbing Gristle, and Kevin Parker in some of the Tame Impala Sound System jams from the lockdown era.

I've wanted to build a WASP for a llllonnnnng time, but it's rather involved and my skill set was/is such that DIYing it would've been/is challenging because there weren't/aren't any decent PCB-producers pumping out Wasp-boards.

I'm getting there. I have a lot of info I've compiled over the years on a HD somewhere.
Maybe someday when I've exhausted my PCB supply I'll have the time and requisite skill set... oh but the queue is long.

Etch your own PCB from here:

the layout doesnt look all that difficult. not too much offboard wiring. 3080s arent cheap tho. any reason this circuit wouldnt work with guitar? what does the vc jack do?

... 3080s arent cheap tho...

There's two of them, so this is a perfect opportunity to update the layout to accommodate a LM13700.

I can't think of any reason the circuit wouldn't sound great on guitar, bass, synths, drums, vocals...
I've got a lot to learn yet, so maybe there're some reasons for it not great on drums or vocals.

Back