JohnH Passive Attenuator

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
This is a passive DIY attenuator, designed by JohnH at the Marshall Forum ("Simple Attenuators - Design And Testing"). I must have missed this when it was originally posted, but @mjh36 posted a build of the same design a couple years ago.

I use primary Hiwatt amps, which have a great master volume control, and I use them as a clean pedal platform, so I don't have a strong need to crank my amps. But, I find my DR504 clone seem to sound a bit better when it starts "breathing" a bit, that is, when it's a notch or two above family-friendly volume (like driving a Lambo to the grocery store). So the attenuator allows me to get the "RPMs up", so to speak, while keeping the family happy.

I've actually only used it a little bit so far, mainly as testing. But it works as advertised. It does get warm when I have the amp cranked. I really should drill some ventilation holes on the top and bottom of the enclosure. But for now, for just a little bit of attenuation, it should be OK. I've since added feet and labels since taking the pictures.

Build time, effort and difficulty is roughly the same as a pedal. I did read that entire thread about a year ago (when it was half as long), but all the necessary details to build the basic device are in the first post (and a couple links therein).

I used the "premium" name-brand resistors from domestic sources, but even with that, I've got less money in this by far than any boutique attenuator. It would be quite cheap using no-name offshore resistors. Mine is built for 50 watts (since that's my most powerful amp). My friend wants me to build him one for his 100 watt Marshall. I also want to build another with a headphone out and aux in, so I can use it for truly silent practice. My work queue only seems to get longer!

Highly recommended if you like DIY and are at all curious about attenuators!

Attachments

• IMG_7040.jpg
    IMG_7040.jpg
    398.9 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_7038.jpg
    IMG_7038.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_7036.jpg
    IMG_7036.jpg
    855.6 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_7035.jpg
    IMG_7035.jpg
    706.6 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_7034.jpg
    IMG_7034.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 91
Very cool! I've been curious about these. How easy is it to add the headphone out and aux in? Those would be killer features for me.

Very cool! I've been curious about these. How easy is it to add the headphone out and aux in? Those would be killer features for me.

IIRC, the big thread on the Marshall Forum includes plans for a line-level output. I can't remember if anyone posted details on headphone and/or aux-in modifications. But if you can get a live-level output, adding headphone and aux-in functionality should be pretty easy.

Awesome man, another member to the JohnH club! Sweet build, nice and tidy. I like the upside-down method, or not drilling into the lid, so you can take it off and get to work if you need to modify something. I can't recommend these enough. After seeing the inside of other reactive attenuators on the market, I'd rather plug into my DIY JohnH attenuator than most others. These are tanks and sound great. I've since built a 100w with bass resonance circuit, add your new one to the completed attenuator thread as well!

Last edited:
IIRC, the big thread on the Marshall Forum includes plans for a line-level output. I can't remember if anyone posted details on headphone and/or aux-in modifications. But if you can get a live-level output, adding headphone and aux-in functionality should be pretty easy.
These could be added I'm sure. However I think with a straight Headphone Out from the attenuator, you're going to still need some type of cabinet emulation or IR software internally for ideal tone in your headphones. Then you'd probably need an external power supply as well, and as-is these are passive which is nice. Obviously it can be done and it'd be nice to have in one package, just beyond my pay grade.

For simplicity, just a Line Out and Level control works for me. I send that to cabinet emulation, Two Notes Cab M+ pedal in my case, and use the headphone out on that or my interface.

This is cool and I’ll sign up in that forum to get more info. I’ve been wanting to make one for my Twin.

This is a passive DIY attenuator, designed by JohnH at the Marshall Forum ("Simple Attenuators - Design And Testing"). I must have missed this when it was originally posted, but @mjh36 posted a build of the same design a couple years ago.

I use primary Hiwatt amps, which have a great master volume control, and I use them as a clean pedal platform, so I don't have a strong need to crank my amps. But, I find my DR504 clone seem to sound a bit better when it starts "breathing" a bit, that is, when it's a notch or two above family-friendly volume (like driving a Lambo to the grocery store). So the attenuator allows me to get the "RPMs up", so to speak, while keeping the family happy.

I've actually only used it a little bit so far, mainly as testing. But it works as advertised. It does get warm when I have the amp cranked. I really should drill some ventilation holes on the top and bottom of the enclosure. But for now, for just a little bit of attenuation, it should be OK. I've since added feet and labels since taking the pictures.

Build time, effort and difficulty is roughly the same as a pedal. I did read that entire thread about a year ago (when it was half as long), but all the necessary details to build the basic device are in the first post (and a couple links therein).

I used the "premium" name-brand resistors from domestic sources, but even with that, I've got less money in this by far than any boutique attenuator. It would be quite cheap using no-name offshore resistors. Mine is built for 50 watts (since that's my most powerful amp). My friend wants me to build him one for his 100 watt Marshall. I also want to build another with a headphone out and aux in, so I can use it for truly silent practice. My work queue only seems to get longer!

Highly recommended if you like DIY and are at all curious about attenuators!
Clean!!!

If I had an amp worth attenuating I’d definitely be building one of these.
Hope to build a DR103 one day to live out my Fripp/Lifeson fantasies, so I’ll keep this post bookmarked for sure

Back