Kewpie Fuzz (Umbrella Company Mayonaise)

MattG

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Sometimes this forum feels like a kind of peer pressure - if I see lots of builds of a particular circuit with consistent praise, I feel compelled to get in on the action! Such was the case with the Kewpie: I suspect @Robert's initial praise got a lot of people excited about it, as there's been a decent number of Kewpie builds with favorable reviews in a fairly short amount of time. So here I add to the growing snowball of Kewpie Fuzz build reports.

This is probably one of my best-looking builds to date, and credit for the great aesthetics belongs entirely to @Synchrony Pedalworks and Spencer at @amplifyfun. My wife had recently bought me the limited-run Hammered Blue 125B enclosure from Antique Electronic Supply (aka Tubes and More aka @Amplified Parts) when I saw @Synchrony Pedalworks's absolutely impeccable Kewpie Fuzz build report. I kept going back to admire the look of his build, when I finally decided it wouldn't hurt to ask if I could borrow his design. Not only was he nice enough to lend me the design, he even customized it for me! Just when I thought this forum community couldn't get any nicer, someone comes along and takes it to a new level! Thank you so much SP!

Once I had the tweaked design in hand, it was a simple matter to send it and the enclosure to Spencer at @amplifyfun - easy-peasy dealings and the work speaks for itself.

While I was waiting to get the finished enclosure back, I wrapped up a couple builds: Aion Lumitron and Seabed Delay builds #2 and #3. As I mentioned in those build reports, I rarely did a good drilling job in my previous 50ish builds, despite having a drill press and stepper bit. Why? Because I was previously too lazy to drill a pilot hole. So knowing I had this super-nice enclosure on the way, I knew I definitely needed to up my drilling game, so I started drilling a pilot hole before using the step bit. Why oh why did I wait so long to do this? It doesn't really take any longer, and completely eliminates all the stress of not having properly-aligned holes. Yes, it really took me several dozen builds to realize that the pilot hole is the way to go!

Anyway - I'm super happy with the final result. I used my new favorite CMOS inverter based relay bypass module (of which I have lots of spare PCBs, please PM me if you'd like some!). Everything worked great on first power-up. I only played a little bit on it, but so far my experience is consistent with all the other praise. It simply rocks. All the knobs and controls seem really well-tuned. I definitely intend to put some more play time on it! Recommended!

Attachments

• IMG_9519.jpg
    IMG_9519.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_9510.jpg
    IMG_9510.jpg
    505.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_9511.jpg
    IMG_9511.jpg
    528.7 KB · Views: 43
Back