Klone special edition gain

Svenson007

Hey dudes! Does anyone know if the only difference in mini klones is the angular potentiometers? I’m talking mini klone vs the Special addition version.

I made one for somebody a while back, and they said something like wow! I didn’t know Klones were so “gainy”

They didn’t say it in a negative way, just surprised. I used 1N34a’z that time.

I just built another one and use D9E’s this time. I find them less “edgy.”

So I plugged in for a test with my fingers crossed and to my relief it works perfectly.

I just got anJ Mascis squire so it’s a lot “hotter ” then what I usually test with. But it does have a healthy helping of overdrive/distortion.

I’ll try with my usual test guitar tomorrow to compare.

Is it possible part of the special edition is extra gain? Was there a mod done? Or is it just straight up schematic. Something seems different. Like an extra 1/4 turn of gain.

It could be all in both of our heads…. But I see what he means.

Did you measure the 1N34A and D9E diodes?

They may measure differently and the 1N34As you used are hotter.

Or maybe the tolerance in the parts you used?
Oh, I didn’t want to give the impression that they were all that different from each other (special editions). The two special editions sounded similar to each other, if not exactly the same.

I just mean compared to a regular Klon mini. Again this could all be in my head. Probably is. I’m just wondering if maybe besides the different layout, there is also a resistor change or something? There are no documents for me to check.

I did measure them, and they were very average readings for their type. I prefer the D9E’s personally. I find them subjectively less harsh?

It’s just funny that a guy I built one for mentioned this. And now I noticed this myself with my new build.

It’s probably in my head. But I swear there is like a quarter turn more overdrive/distortion.

Probably a silly post. But I was just kinda wondering if anyone else has experienced this etc. I really wasn’t thinking of the guys comment either while testing. I only remembered that comment after.

Maybe I’m just crazy haha. But I’m not generally susceptible to placebo. Dumno man!?

🤷🏻‍♂️

The schematics are the same. The diodes shunt the signal to ground and the different ones you used react slightly differently. This could be the difference you hear.

Oh, I didn’t want to give the impression that they were all that different from each other (special editions). The two special editions sounded similar to each other, if not exactly the same.

I just mean compared to a regular Klon mini. Again this could all be in my head. Probably is. I’m just wondering if maybe besides the different layout, there is also a resistor change or something? There are no documents for me to check.

I did measure them, and they were very average readings for their type. I prefer the D9E’s personally. I find them subjectively less harsh?

It’s just funny that a guy I built one for mentioned this. And now I noticed this myself with my new build.

It’s probably in my head. But I swear there is like a quarter turn more overdrive/distortion.

Probably a silly post. But I was just kinda wondering if anyone else has experienced this etc. I really wasn’t thinking of the guys comment either while testing. I only remembered that comment after.

Maybe I’m just crazy haha. But I’m not generally susceptible to placebo. Dumno man!?

🤷🏻‍♂️
Oh no I didn't mean it like that. Just trying to be helpful.
I am going through diode selection now for my klone and was thinking of reasons they would sound different due to different values.

Yeah some diodes clip harsher. I tried some D18 and they gave me some gnarly feedback when I upped the gain!

I am going through diode selection now for my klone and was thinking of reasons they would sound different due to different values.

Yeah some diodes clip harsher. I tried some D18 and they gave me some gnarly feedback when I upped the gain!
Have you tried 2(4) in series? I bought a bunch(box) of D9Es and have found that I prefer them stacked often times. Still get the sound but higher Vf to allow the rest of the circuit to do it's thing. Also easy to dial that "edge of breakup" where D18s and some D9s shine due to their softer knee.
Realize I'm telling Santa how to wrap presents here but maybe will help someone out somewhere....

The schematics are the same. The diodes shunt the signal to ground and the different ones you used react slightly differently. This could be the difference you hear.
Yeah I don’t think my wording was clear. I meant the two special editions seem like they have a bit more gain. I’m not comparing special edition 1 and 2. Just special edition vs non special edition.

Again I’m pretty sure it’s all in my head. It’s just strange that I had that comment from a recipient of my build, and also had that same thought independently.

I know I know, it’s all in my head. Just musing about it I guess. I couldn’t find a schematic for the SE. But I’m sure it would be made public if there was an actual difference.

I have measured Alpha 100K pots from 85K to 110K .
A Dual pot when its fully Clockwised overall value could be a game changer.???
Possibly my batch of pots? Yeah that could be?! I’ve never measured down to 85k but close!

I’m going with this as the most likely answer here. Different pot batches.

Thanks

Last edited:

Yeah I find D18’s kinda wild with specs all over the place. No I know you were trying to be helpful. I’m sure it’s the same schematic. After reading another response pot tolerance didn’t cross my mind for some reason. I think maybe a different batch of pots could be the reason, with their tolerance n all.

Have you tried 2(4) in series? I bought a bunch(box) of D9Es and have found that I prefer them stacked often times. Still get the sound but higher Vf to allow the rest of the circuit to do it's thing. Also easy to dial that "edge of breakup" where D18s and some D9s shine due to their softer knee.
Realize I'm telling Santa how to wrap presents here but maybe will help someone out somewhere....
That’s interesting man, thanks. Also yeah I prefer the softer knee of the D9E’s for a klone.

Yeah I got ya. But I wasn’t comparing special edition 1 vs 2. I was talking about Special edition vs regular mini. So as one of the comments said, and I agree with it could be a different batch of pots. I think that would explain this. Anyhoo cheers.

I haven't! You mean put two pairs of parallel diodes in series?

2 pairs of series diodes in anti parallel.
Normal clipping config but double up on them.
So
-AK ->AK-
-KA->KA-
Will increase Vf. Not a full doubling, but close, in my findings. I'm guessing it has something to do with leakage. See pic.
20230805_092450-COLLAGE.jpg
These are D18s and have a higher Vf than many other germs at around .65v. 2 in series work out to around 1v.
This is also real handy when doing a clipping seletor switch or rotary as it helps avoid the volume drop associated with germanium

Last edited:
2 pairs of series diodes in anti parallel.
Normal clipping config but double up on them.
So
-AK ->AK-
-KA->KA-
Will increase Vf. Not a full doubling, but close, in my findings. I'm guessing it has something to do with leakage. See pic.
View attachment 53941
These are D18s and have a higher Vf than many other germs at around .65v. 2 in series work out to around 1v.
This is also real handy when doing a clipping seletor switch or rotary as it helps avoid them volume drop associated with germanium
Very cool! Thank you. :)

Back