Low Tide Low Frequency Rumble & Fizz

humdanger

Just finished putting together this low tide project. Used nos Fairchild j201 for both jfets. Coolaudio bbd. It fired right up and all controls work like they should. Plenty of modulation depth, LPG response like I’ve heard in demos, clean 100% dry signal with effect engaged and unity level at about noon. Getting some incredible and inspiring sounds out of this thing but I still have a couple questions about this circuits expected normal operation.

After reading a helpful post on these threads, I spent some time noodling with the trim pots to try and do away with as much noise as I could. It was mentioned that the BBD be trimmed for the loudest/cleanest signal. When I set the bbd bias at its loudest before distortion, I notice the 100% wet is louder than the dry setting when the circuit is engaged. Is that normal? Also notice the wet signal seems much thicker/heftier than the dry here… Because it’s passing through the delay line?

When the gate opens, I'm still getting a bit of noise. The noise I’m hearing from this unit isn’t that of your typical resistor shot noise or low quality opamp hiss, but more of a fizz that reminds me of dragging brushes on a snare drum. I don’t have much experience with bucket brigade chips so maybe this is typical? Is this pedal capable of much high frequency extension at 100% wet without noise? I’m leaning toward not really, which I’m good with because it still sounds great filtered and gated, I’m just trying to determine if there is an error or fault with my build. I can close the gate or trim out, but with the noise also goes my instruments upper frequencies.

So, everything mentioned thus far I can probably live with or work with. More concerning to me is a low frequency rumble from the random lfo making it’s way to the output. Maybe this is normal, but it’s has some real speaker voice coil killer vibes at the right (wrong?) settings. If I roll the slew all the way back and allow sharp jagged modulation with the depth turned up, it’s audible through the speaker in my deluxe reverb at super low room shaking frequencies. Turn the rate up for more of an earthquake effect. Anyone have one of the or a SW ever experience that sort of behavior? DC offset? 🤔

I’ve been away from pedal building for 7 years and just got the bug to build something. I was smart enough to make this and a DMM my comeback.

Here’s a photo of my low tide… any help is greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 63A98F92-1E77-461B-8C27-71E19135B413.jpeg
    63A98F92-1E77-461B-8C27-71E19135B413.jpeg
    565.9 KB · Views: 27
Back