Low Tide Modulator Whine/Buzz at 100% Wet (with Pics and Audio)

paulvsnow

Howdy folks,

first of all, hats off to this community, the warmth and helpfulness gave me the courage to begin this difficult but rewarding path. Big up to Mr Bird himself too, doing a great job. Really appreciate you all!

For the low tide I used the kit from music-ding and a TO92 J201 in place of the 2SK208-Y as we struggled with the SMD version.
Now, to my issue. Low tide is built, I dialled in the trim pots, it works nicely. I enjoy the effect. But - there's an unpleasant whine, and hiss. It is not present at 50% wet (although the hiss remains), but is overbearing at 100% wet, and present again at 0% wet.

I've tried 4 different power supplies, all supposedly isolated. Bought 2 from Thomann just for this.

Here's an audio file:

Initially, sound at 100% wet. Then, sound at 50% wet. Then, at 0% wet (you can hear the hum from my single coils at this point). Then, back to 50% wet. Then I close the gate fully, then open it fully.

Listening to the end of the audio, where I open the gate, it also seems to me that the pedal distorts at high levels. This happens regardless of the boost/pad settings.

I've attached a picture of the inside of the pedal. I had to compress it as the server kept rejecting it, I've uploaded a higher-res version here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Many thanks,
Paul

Attachments

• IMG_5507.jpg
    IMG_5507.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Just spent an hour or two time dialling it in differently, and also double-checked the insulation under the dual gang, after reading some other posts on here. No real change. Double-checked all the connections and the whole board.

Interestingly, the whine/hiss is not affected by the volume/gain knob (nor by the pad/boost, as mentioned already).

However, the whine/hiss does seem to follow the modulation - maybe the CV (sorry if wrong term) from the randomiser is being routed wrongly/is bleeding over?
Here's an example of what I mean. This was recorded with my phone rather than my zoom h4n, hence the more tinny nature of the sound.

My overall knowledge of circuits and all of that is still pretty limited, so I might not be able to help much but just from looking at your picture, I can see quite a few solder joints that look like they need more solder. Might be worth it to go back and reflow as many spots as you can until they're all looking good.

Back