Mach 1 1590B WIP (and pot alignment suggestion)

mybud

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
mach_1_test.jpg
While testing this prior to housing it in a 1590B, I had a small epiphany which I thought I'd pass on in case it may be useful to some fellow-builders. It involves a plastic storage box, as below.
plastic_box.jpg
With two removable compartments, it becomes a useful jig for aligning pots to ensure the board lies flat and true, since space allocation is much less lenient in a 1590B enclosure than our 125B standard.
mach_1_pot_alignment_01.jpg
After gently splaying the pot legs to get a tighter fit in the unsoldered PCB, I laid the pre-drilled box over the plastic enclosure. The middle point (where the compartments intersect, that is) provides support for the box and it can be moved and adjusted for fit accordingly.
mach_1_pot_alignment_02.jpg
Once the board is nearly ready for final soldering, the plastic box provides a stable base for soldering the pots in place. YMMV, naturally, but maybe worth a shot if you find this aspect a fiddly challenge, which I usually do.
mach_1_innards.jpg
Hey presto and sapristi! The board lies flat and the larger components (elcaps, etc.) can be double checked for clearance in situ.
mach_1_outards.jpg
I haven't much fresh to add regarding this build, which is reasonably easy (low component count, clean layout, and so on) and sounds good as a mild to medium overdrive. I needed to do some quick touching up to the IC socket to fix an intermittent connection, but it was quick and fairly easy as before. Waiting for Tayda parts to arrive (Lumbergs if I'm going to manage top-mount jacks), and another one bites the proverbial dust.

I used an 072 instead of the prescribed 2134 and don't know if this makes a substantial difference headroom-wise but so far, so good. Thanks for reading as ever.

Back