Mach 1 Build

mbenbranch

Just finished up a Mach 1 and I am a big fan of this circuit so far. Does something great to my clean channel and with some knob adjustments sounded huge pushing a kinda dirty channel.

First time using the ribbon cable, that's a bit of a game changer. And yes, the gut shot has a green LED but the front shot is yellow. I wired the green backwards, so yellow it is.
PXL_20220529_050124796.jpg PXL_20220531_000253426.jpg

I am really digging my Mach 1. Not exactly sure what it is that makes it sound so pleasing to me as a low gain drive. Maybe the (dare I say) "transparency" in that it doesn't color the tone too much. When I've put them side by side with my other so called "transparent" drives (there's that word again) you can really see how much color drives like the "Timmy" and "SeaShore" add. Not that this is a bad thing, but Mach 1/LightSpeed is really cool! Great build!

Took me a while to get into the Mach 1. Out of the box it's great but I couldn't get any satisfaction from stacking until cranking the volume past noon, now it's a sexy crunch mobile pushing tubes with a boost in front.

Question: how do you strip the leads on the ribbon? I’m trying to improve my method. Cool build!
They come pre-stripped. Just pull off the ends and install it where ya want. Just have to get an appropriate length. I usually use 2” ones but have had projects where the switch is really close to the board. Used 1” ones for those. Also, for a 4-pin option you can get the 8-pin ones and just cut them in half.

They come pre-stripped. Just pull off the ends and install it where ya want. Just have to get an appropriate length. I usually use 2” ones but have had projects where the switch is really close to the board. Used 1” ones for those. Also, for a 4-pin option you can get the 8-pin ones and just cut them in half.

Oh yeah that’s a ripoff in my opinion :) You can buy a much longer ribbon at that price on digikey or mouser, which is what I did. I strip wires individually but it’s a bit of a pain so I was hoping for alternative solutions.

Oh yeah that’s a ripoff in my opinion :) You can buy a much longer ribbon at that price on digikey or mouser, which is what I did. I strip wires individually but it’s a bit of a pain so I was hoping for alternative solutions.
I honestly don’t mind the cost. Saves me time. Less pain too. 😁

I am really digging my Mach 1. Not exactly sure what it is that makes it sound so pleasing to me as a low gain drive. Maybe the (dare I say) "transparency" in that it doesn't color the tone too much. When I've put them side by side with my other so called "transparent" drives (there's that word again) you can really see how much color drives like the "Timmy" and "SeaShore" add. Not that this is a bad thing, but Mach 1/LightSpeed is really cool! Great build!
Yeah, this one is definitely in the "transparent OD" camp but it feels and sound different. I don't know how to describe it, it just sounds good!

Back