macOS - Setting up the Dev Environment

untamedfrontier

Just wanted to offer a few potential tips presented in a very non-scientific way for getting the toolchain installed for daisy, as I struggled hard and finally got it going last night.

My system is on macOS Catalina (10.15), and I was following along that doc step by step, but was still failing whenever I was trying to run 'make' on the Blink example. Below was the error I was getting every time I ran make from terminal:

make: *** No rule to make target `../../libdaisy/core/Makefile'. Stop.

So through a bunch of searching, not a lot of finding, I decided to just install Xcode (I already had visual studio code installed), and once Xcode was installed I just deleted the examples and started from scratch, following through all the instructions. Once everything was installed there, I was able to run make on the Blink program and then successfully pushed a few different changes I made to Blink (changed the value on the time from 500 to 100, then to 666 because rock n roll), and it all worked.

tl;dr Either installing Xcode fixed my issues, or just fully reinstalling the toolchain from scratch did. YMMV (YKMV outside the US)

We almost write about compiling on Mac at the same time... (I'm on Mojave, 10.14)

Did you tried building BIN from tcpoint source?

ha! haven't tried yet, I'm hopefully going to finish up the terrarium tomorrow morning so i can actually put sound through it

Back