DEMO Mad Bean Pedals "BearHug" Compressor

This post contains an audio or video demo

MichaelW

Build Rating
5.00 star(s)
Next up is yet another compressor. I think I'm almost at the end of my compressor spree. Just waiting for an IC to build the Byrdhouse and I think I'll be done for a while.

This is a FET based compressor and somewhat unusual and super simple circuit. Yet it sounds FANTASTIC!
I love the simplicity of the two knob approach, yet all very usable and musical sounds. Really not a bad sound in it and it's pretty idiot proof with only two knobs.

According to @bean it falls somewhere between the subtle optical compressors and the super squishy VCA/OTA based compressor.
I'd have to agree although there is plenty of compression on tap.

It's also extremely quiet and transparent. What more could you ask for in a compressor? Transparent, plenty of gain and compression, dead simple to use.

With the compression control full CCW it's basically an Orman Mini Boost and there's plenty of gain on tap to act as a clean boost.

There is a High/Low Toggle switch that increases the compression range and maxed out it can introduce some of the duck/swell effect if that's what you're looking for. This is a great compressor for those who use compressors very minimally, and also for those looking for more squish.

Highly recommended build! I think it has earned a permanent place on my board next to my Trash Compactor and General Tso.

Easy build and fit nicely in a 1590B with top jacks.

IMG_5160.JPG

IMG_5159.JPG

I'm not sure how effective compressor demo's are as Youtube adds more compression to the video clips.
But I'm hoping you can hear how this sounds compared to my Tso and Trash Compactor.

Back