Moar

Diynot

Finished this batch up last week:
Effects layout Skeleklone mk2
After being educated by smarter folks here and finding out that 1044scpa charge pumps are the noisy devil and upon suggestion of aforementioned smarter folk, I jumped on buying this board during the effectslayout sale. So, does it Klon? Yes it does and does it nicely. The only issue I had was that in the opamp clipping setting I was getting some motorboating at higher gain, but has mysteriously since resolved. Even if it hadn’t I wouldn’t have cared since it’s not my favorite setting. The fat switch def lets the bass back in. I need to compare my C. Bones bass klon against it. Easy enough build. Would recommend building it. Pics:
IMG_4053.jpeg IMG_4052.jpeg
To balance out shipping and because again, it comes highly recommended by some similar minded noise makers, I also picked up a Spotted Dick board. This thing is AWESOME! It does a very similar thing to the DEFX The Thing (Dynamorph clone), but does it better with fewer parts. Great on both bass and guitar, it’s just nasty and explosive and is kind of in a class by itself. Thought I had borked this one since I wasn’t getting LED or effect at first but then realized I had done a dumb and forgotten to solder a pad on the 3pdt daughter board. That and the good @benny_profane pointed out I needed to jumper the LED pads on the daughter board.

IMG_4074.jpeg IMG_4075.jpeg
Next up, the PPCB Cordyceps ring mod. Aside from soldering in the vactrol backwards (this round of builds was not my most meticulous), it was an easy enough build. A pretty cool little ring mod. After @Paradox916 besmirched the good name of ring mods everywhere, I set out trying to find some more conventional “usable” tones with this and to be honest….came up short. By the time you dial in the right balance of clean to mod you have just a removed all of the mod. So it’s a weird little noise maker and I’m ok with that.
IMG_4070.jpeg IMG_4071.jpeg
Continuing on, the Equilux Mini. I am usually not deterred by knob count, but that’s usually because you can turn a knob and easily discern what it does without being labeled. This sucker however…. @Robert gonna need that faceplate (at your convenience). This thing is pretty badass though (for an eq pedal) I had built it more for use with my electric upright bass, but it has not left the guitar rig yet. Makes for an excellent boost and tone refinement for the Skeleklone. Didn’t let the lack of drill template stop me. Was a little nervous to commit my modified drill template to the enclosure, but everything fit like a glove.
IMG_4055.jpeg IMG_4054.jpeg
Last, a good ol Muroidea (Rat). I have been using a parentheses for over 2 years now, but never used the octave or boost so I decided it was time to go simpler and I’m glad I did. The only mod is the clipping switch and since I don’t care for the opamp clipping in the parentheses this is just LEDs and asymmetrical 4148s. I think I like the 4148s slightly better, but it’s a close race. OP07 chip sounds great.
IMG_4072.jpeg IMG_4073.jpeg
If you can’t tell, I have a bunch of red wire I am working through. That’s it for now, but you should build all these too……plus all the others because why not?

Back