Modding Greengage for better bass/bass guitar?

Thanks. Was it the doing the mod itself or the tone you got was not satisfactory?

Seeing very few threads about this, I wonder how much this mod really works. Plus your experience tells me maybe I should just go with the obsidius preamp or something else. Hmm.

If I do build I’m thinking to socket both c4 and c1. I kinda agree with Phi1 logic why upping c1 should not affect low end but just for my sake I’ll socket both.

I honestly couldn't get the tone to change all that much, but it might have been user error as much as anything.

Still, I will say that it took me a while to appreciate the Plumes, but I feel that it may be a situation where it's not so much that it cuts the lows as much as it boosts the mids so much that you get a perceived drop in lows. I think there is some actual drop as well, but I had the same experience with a bass klon build. I think that the plumes is a great tone shaping tool in that it gives you a ton of presence in the mix and has a lot of clean power to the tone. Not sure if that's the impedance or the voltage doubling or what, but it's a great tool especially before other pedals. It does a great job of driving my modulation pedals as well as my muff.

If you want a straight up bass OD, though, I'm not sure you'd be happy with this. I built a Son of Ben that is much better as a full range boost, OD, than the plumes. It's more "generally" good while the plumes has more specific uses and a more specific sound.

Reactions: NSJ
That makes sense! So, your mod worked and maybe very subtle tonal change. That’s what I’m preparing myself for.

That hot bod blend looks handy - but with symm clipping. Not hard to mod it for asymm to AB with greengage - Clean blend vs high headroom, I guess.

I ended up adding a 300n to the 100n at C4. I think that might be too much. Makes the bass a little too much and the pedal jumps into overdrive with even the slightest turn of the drive knob. I'll have to crack it open again this weekend and switch that 300n out for maybe a 100n to make C4 200n total. I do think that this is the right area of the pedal to mod for bass, it's just about finding the right value.

When you mentioned in your SoB thread adding a 100n to the existing Greengage one, I guess you meant C4 on the PPCB Greengage schematic.

If you left the input cap C1 at 33n, then you're not letting enough bass into the circuit to begin with, and I'd go with 100n, 220n...

I know it's mentioned in this thread that C1 is already letting all the bass through, but nonetheless — for example, Jack Orman's MOSFET Boost has a 1n input cap, and has said increasing it won't really improve it's bass response as it's already flat and let's all freqs through. Yet the Catalinbread crew took that circuit, changed the input to 10n and called it the Sogrado Poblano Picoso ...

You could try the Orman Phat mod, detailed in GGG's PDF list of mods, but you'd have to change R6 from going to ground to go to Vref (like GGG ITS8 schematic's R6).

Greengage C8 & C9 are 1uF, for a smidge more bass let through, try replacing those with 2u2 caps. That might give you that smidge-extra girth you're after. You could try C2 as well, it's also 1u, but bumping it to 2u2 might feed too much bass into the clipping section after it.

I compared the Greengage with the TS-808 tone-stack and EQD tweaked it, so I'm not sure what's been done to it, but flattening the tone stack of the TS ( ie taking out the mid-hump) would help perceived bass. I just read on EQD's website EQD already did that I guess: "The reimagined tone control is finely tuned to sculpt low end, clear top end, and focus midrange with blooming sustain."

Back to SoBen...

When you mentioned in your SoB thread adding a 100n to the existing Greengage one, I guess you meant C4 on the PPCB Greengage schematic.

If you left the input cap C1 at 33n, then you're not letting enough bass into the circuit to begin with, and I'd go with 100n, 220n...

I know it's mentioned in this thread that C1 is already letting all the bass through, but nonetheless — for example, Jack Orman's MOSFET Boost has a 1n input cap, and has said increasing it won't really improve it's bass response as it's already flat and let's all freqs through. Yet the Catalinbread crew took that circuit, changed the input to 10n and called it the Sogrado Poblano Picoso ...

You could try the Orman Phat mod, detailed in GGG's PDF list of mods, but you'd have to change R6 from going to ground to go to Vref (like GGG ITS8 schematic's R6).

Greengage C8 & C9 are 1uF, for a smidge more bass let through, try replacing those with 2u2 caps. That might give you that smidge-extra girth you're after. You could try C2 as well, it's also 1u, but bumping it to 2u2 might feed too much bass into the clipping section after it.

I compared the Greengage with the TS-808 tone-stack and EQD tweaked it, so I'm not sure what's been done to it, but flattening the tone stack of the TS ( ie taking out the mid-hump) would help perceived bass. I just read on EQD's website EQD already did that I guess: "The reimagined tone control is finely tuned to sculpt low end, clear top end, and focus midrange with blooming sustain."

Back to SoBen...

Thank you! All good info. Maybe I'll start with the input cap and see where that gets me.

And yes, I meant adding to C4 on the Greengage schematic.

The treble with people mentioning "all the bass" getting through, often they're referring to geetar's E2/83Hz.

I love the Bass E1!

Back